The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New DNS Functionality

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by jsteel, Feb 21, 2004.

1. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

Anyone have any details to the rumor that the DNS Master/Slave functionality (which doesn't work properly right now) is being replaced with Cluster functionality?

We're all for changes that will get things working properly (we're tired of the tickets from customers about intermittent problems accessing sites because the secondary servers aren't updating properly), but we'd like to know how these changes are going to occur along with the expected initial impact.

2. casey

casey Well-Known Member

3. pirania1

pirania1 Well-Known Member

Ummm.. That's the most enigmatic doc I've ever seen.
    Explaining how to do something without telling what it actually does.
    You should enable it on all servers?
    Eg: server1 is master dns server
    server2 is a peer of server1
    does server2 need the same operation?

4. casey

casey Well-Known Member

If I understand correctly you do the process on server1.
    Any updates to server1 will now automatically be added to server2, server3, etc. If you are going to be adding dns information on server3, then you need to also do the process on server3 so that server1 will be updated.

5. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. Those docs, well, suck.

Are they saying I should go to my current master nameserver and then configure it as part of the cluster and then on that same server configure the secondary nameservers as part of the cluster, and then last but not least, repeat the process on the secondary nameservers? What about the servers that I don't have DNS running on? How do they communicate changes to the master (or whatever it is called now)?

Nick, how about something a bit more helpful.

6. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

Don't fault casey for attempting to show you what it is doing. While not a full explanation he gave you a great insite into what is going on. From my viewpoint seeing that we will no longer have to make SSH on the primary dns accessible by root which clears a huge security hole on Cpanel dns servers. It looks like they will be properly using the hash that has always been enabled in Cpanel to automatically update dns on all of your dns servers. This means no more needs for wonderful scripts like sync.sh that was created to overcome shortcomings of Cpanel dns also.

If it works like I suspects you will have realtime more secure updates of dns from all of your servers. It also means that when a client disables an add-on domain on a secondary servers the dns will be properly removed and propagated through the other dns servers.

Nick you might want to comment here before people make too many assumptions or get frustrated as above.

7. pirania1

pirania1 Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, you remember some time ago this guy from Cpanel that was hired to create/update documentation?
    We've heard from him on many occassions but it looks like he disapeared.
    That would be really pity.

8. thedavid

thedavid Well-Known Member

So can anyone at cpanel tell us some more details about this 'dns clustering' system? I'm just a bit hesitant at making such sweeping changes for all the domains with just this piece of documentation:

http://www.cpanel.net/docs/dnsclustering-quickstart/

As of now, cpanel is spewing error messages about our DNS system being 'depreciated' every time someone parks a domain or whatever.

9. netwrkr

netwrkr Well-Known Member

So the days of using 1 CP server and 1 bind server are almost over I see.... What a silly way to force people to buy CP licenses just to utilize two DNS servers. I for one am damn tired of these sweeping changes that suit very few people, fix no bugs and from the outside looking in primarily benefit CP.

Nick -- I can *assure* you the $1K plus I spent last year will *not* be spent on your product again this year.

Regards.

TP

#9 netwrkr, Feb 23, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2004
  10. ttremain

ttremain Well-Known Member

Reading between the lines

If I understand this correctly, the steps should be as such:

1) remove all DNS trust relationships
    2) Set DNS clustering from master DNS server to all other DNS servers
    3) set clustering from all DNS servers to all DNS servers (including to old master)
    4) remove MASTER DNS server setting in "edit Setup" on each DNS server
    5) Pray

11. cretu

cretu Well-Known Member

Hi,

I am affraid of the last point "preyer". Did anyone tried this on network of several boxes? And what is the deadline for this change as I suspect that DNS-Master relationship functinality will be terminated eventually from cPanel?

Cretu

12. edesignway

edesignway Well-Known Member

Well.. I just attempted this and I think everything is working. The DNS zones update without issue and dnsreport says everything is okay.

*EDIT*
    Plus the loading of the DNS zones and when saving a DNS zone goes a lot faster!!

13. cretu

cretu Well-Known Member

Hi,

Thanks for input.
    I read on this forum that someone wrote that clustering fearure isn't fully functional yet. I am just wondering what would be a deadline to switch from Master-slave to clustering?

Cretu

14. ttremain

If it's not fully functional, then what brain surgeon, decided to throw all those alerts every time an account is modified?

15. Tos

Tos Member

Setup DNS clustering between 3 of our servers. Set them all to replicate.
    Went into DNS to edit and all zones have empty values on the records...i.e the www, ftp etc is a blank box.

Switched back to master/slave and they all show correctly again.

Any ideas?

16. ttremain

I had that VERY SAME problem, and in the cPanel IRC, it was suggested I needed to upgrade to Edge E54

This can then read the Zone files. However, the first 4 or file lines still show nothing in the first column. (The MX record, the NS records, and the first A record.) This is supposably just a "new format of zone file"

It all appears to read properly now...

17. cretu

cretu Well-Known Member

HI,

I have the same problem with not seeing full entries on DNS zone -> upgraded to latest egde E54 -> now, it's better but still four lines for MX, 2 NSs, A records are empty and it says "$ORIGIN domain.com." under.
    The zone file looks this weird only when viewed from a server that does not host an account - server that does, displays it correctly.

What could be a problem?

Cretu

18. hotice007

hotice007 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

question....

So if I have 10 servers in the cluster, which server's DNS do I use for my domains?

Also... whats the difference between "Standalone" and "Synchronize Changes"? How should you use it or when should you use it?

#18 hotice007, Feb 26, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2004
  19. ssilvius

ssilvius Active Member

Re: question....

With 10 servers you don't mess around with cPanel DNS anymore, you setup two DNS only boxes. You have the cPanel machines talk to your primary (master) name server. Replication between the two, you use standard bind tools.

This is my opinion... we all know the saying...

20. hotice007

hotice007 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Re: Re: question....

Hmmm... i thoutght this new dns cluster was to replace the old master/slave dns style...