The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New dnsreport.com record? (RFC 1035)

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by gallot, Sep 4, 2006.

1. gallot

gallot Active Member

Hello,

I am not sure if this has been there when but I just noticed a new record at dnsreport.com which I didn't find before. It says:

FAIL: Single Dedicated Server:

ERROR: Although you have 2 NS records, they both point to the same server. You are required to have at least 2 nameservers per RFC 1035 section 2.2. If you have a 'control panel' that did this automatically, you should complain to the people that made it; they clearly have little understanding of DNS.

Anybody had an idea?

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I would guess means exactly what it says both of your nameservers are on the same server

3. MN-Robert

MN-Robert Well-Known Member

4. kistler

kistler Well-Known Member

I don’t see a point if someone only uses one server to host people why does he then need to have another to just run a dns server to point to that same server you already are pointing to. What am I missing?

5. driverC

driverC Well-Known Member

If your nameserver is down then some people`s ISP will remove the DNS entry and they will not restore it for like 10 or 20 hours. On some computers the missing DNS entry will be saved and their DNS client will not look it up again for a while. Then even if your server comes back online after a few minutes some visitors may experience 10 or 20 hours of downtime and emails may be lost because a few mailservers can not resolve the domains anymore. But this affects only a very small amount of customers. Personally I am just using one NS, too. If someone complains I tell them to restart their DNS client by rebooting their PC and to connect through another ISP if possible. I`m a budget host. If you are not a budget host then maybe you should use a real secondary nameserver.

6. mctDarren

mctDarren Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Exactly as driverC says. Emails might be lost was my biggest concern. Do like we did and grab a cheap VPS and turn it into a DNS only server. Well worth the cost.