The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New domain in WHM/Cpanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lygas, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Lygas

Lygas Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi there :)

I m new to WHM/Cpanel and i try to add new domain/ site.

This server have already 2 runing domains.

Is any tutorial or something to help me how to add new domain step by step..?

2. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

3. Lygas

Lygas Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for your reply thewebhosting. :)

I try what the tutorial say , and create it successful, but after, when i type this domain in browser, automatic redirect to my other/old one domain..:confused:

I already have adultforumgr.com and i try to add adultforum.gr to use it for parallel work and when i finish the jobs to add it as alias in old (adultforumgr.com).

Maybe you know how i set it to run as independent domain..?

4. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

Please make sure that you have changed the nameservers of your domain to point it to your server where you have hosted.

5. Lygas

Lygas Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    thank you my friend. :)

Is that easy to type the way to do that..?

6. cPanelJamyn

cPanelJamyn Social Engineer
    Staff Member

Hi,

Well - the short answer is, the method to update your WHOIS record's DNS servers is different, depending on where you bought your domain. Some registrars will change it for you over the phone (after verifying who you are of course). Most others expect you to login to their website and make the change yourself.

1) Determine what your new nameservers should be. If you can't remember what you have configured, you can check WHM: Main >> Server Configuration >> Basic cPanel/WHM Setup (scroll to the bottom of this page).

2) Determine where you bought your domain. This is where you'll have to change your WHOIS record, which tells the world which nameservers are used to serve up your domain. If you don't know where you bought it, you can try a lookup service like Whois lookup and Domain name search (not affiliated with cPanel or endorsed, just an example). It should show you the WHOIS record for your domain, including your registrar's contact information. There's also Netcraft's site report that tells you a bit about a site, including the registrar. You can query it with something like this (replace YOURSITENAME.COM of course with your own website):

Code:
    http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.YOURSITENAME.COM/
    3) Log into your domain registrar's website and change the DNS servers for the domain to use the new ones. This step is done different at each registrar, so it's not simple to explain. You should call them if you have questions or concerns.

4) It can take a day or two for DNS to fully propagate (update). So even after you've made the change, don't expect it to update everywhere immediately. Old results are cached by hosts and clients for variable amounts of time, but typically the new information is retrieved within a day or two.

Does all this make sense? Thanks.