The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New domain name

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by martyndgreen, Jun 14, 2017.

1. martyndgreen

martyndgreen Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I searched the forum but couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for (admittedly, that might be my inexperience in not know the correct terms, just point me in the right direction if I'm wasting time...)

The domain for my site is coming up for expiry, but I want to change the address - I have already purchased the new one and have it parked on the site.

My first question (as my web host is proving difficult to get coherent answers from) - will the new address still point to my site when the old one expires?

My second question - will it automatically become the Primary Domain when the original expires, or will I have to keep at my Web Host? And what will this mean for the extra things like webmail?

Thanks!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The expired domain name is not automatically removed or replaced, but the domain alias (parked domain) will still work after the primary domain expires.

If you've not configured anything for the domain alias (parked domain) since adding it to the cPanel account, you can remove it from the account and then use the following option in Web Host Manager to change the primary domain name associated with the account:

"WHM >> Account Functions >> Modify an Account"

Thank you.

3. martyndgreen

martyndgreen Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you Michael!

cPanelMichael likes this.