The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New email account - SMTP connection refused

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by meridionaljet, Mar 19, 2013.

1. meridionaljet

meridionaljet Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello,

I recently migrated my website to a dedicated server and I have been attempting to get my website's email account set up again. I created the email account from the cPanel interface and am able to log on to webmail and access the inbox for the account. However, if I attempt to send email to this email address, I am met with "connection refused" errors from SMTP. Also, if I attempt to send mail FROM the website's email (via SquirrelMail), the process hangs and says it timed out after several minutes, without sending the message. The MX DNS records seem to be correct. I am at a loss as to why connections to the mail server are being refused, given that I set the email account up recently and the settings seem to be fine. I have searched google and these forums for a few days and have turned up no solutions.

Any help would be appreciated.

#1 meridionaljet, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  2. Jeff Shotnik

Jeff Shotnik Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It sounds like exim isn't listening on port 25. Run `# service exim restart` via SSH while running `# tail -f /var/log/exim_mainlog`. If there's an issue, it will be logged in exim_mainlog.

3. arunsv84

arunsv84 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you are not having the root access to server, the only way is to contact your hosting provider to see if the SMTP port is opened on server firewall and mail server is listening to port. Could be related to email server/firewall settings.

If you are having root access, perform the following from shell and provide the output.

Cheers!!