The Old Man

Feb 24, 2016
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I've just gone to log into WHM and I'm being asked to agree to a 27 page legal document or exit. A quick glimpse through it and it's advising about permanent cookies, some company called HotJar and God only knows what else. So unless I accept it, I am locked out of my web hosting? Seriously? :rolleyes:

Sorry about the negative feedback. It's becoming increasingly difficult to justify using WHM/CPanel these days, aside from your excellent forum staff. You guys need some new lawyers.

49360C46-C974-476B-AFBE-404FBBB02B80.jpegC45D8AA4-3CCE-4AD8-873D-3B65DF5D29EF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! HotJar is a data analytics company that we may work with, which is also outlined in the privacy policy here:

The Privacy Policy also outlines how you can submit a request for cPanel to not share that information if you'd like to explore that option.

Most cookies that are not related to a particular session are persistent, in that they stay on your browser until they are cleared, either by the browser or by the end user.

If you need more details than that, it would be best to submit a ticket so we can put you in touch with the right people to discuss this with.

The Old Man

Feb 24, 2016
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks for the reply and info, I didn't get a reply email notification for some reason.

I appreciate the info, but the thing that bothers me was that without any warning or alternative you come along and log into your server and find that you have no choice to accept this document or you are effectively locked out of your own server and your customer's CPanel accounts. How many CPanel users would honestly take the time to read 27 A4 pages of terms and conditions before giving up because they need to log into it for a reason. It's unreasonable.

Surely the whole point of a GDPR or otherwise compliant privacy policy is that the end users choose to Opt In now by default, not Opt Out. If you have to accept a huge document then find the path to opt out of third party data sharing and analytics, that's surely not in the spirit of the whole point of modern privacy policies.