The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Features

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cPanelNick, Feb 18, 2004.

1. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    With cPanel Pro 1.0 nearing offical release, we'd like to know what you would like to see in

cPanel Lite
    &
    cPanel 9.0
    &
    cPanel Pro 2.0

2. mr.wonderful

mr.wonderful BANNED

We'd like to see bug fixes to existing issues.

Change password
    Parking domains
    Quotas
    Mailman which still doesnt work properly
    The ability to disable the default, iconic, Yes, No, Tree and all those ugly themes that nobody uses. Please give us the option to disable themes we dont need so our users dont have to see them and so our Resellers cannot select them!>
    Feature list - Still doesnt not contain URCHIN. Some of use want to remove URCHIN from the menu.
    Shareing Nameservers - When will it be out of beta?
    Clustering? - When will it be implamented?
    Exim? Can we replace this?
    Exim Quota - Still doesnt work!
    Hotlinking - Still doesnt work
    Features? - Why add features when existing ones are not working up to standard? Please fix these before implamenting new features.
    /etc

#2 mr.wonderful, Feb 18, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2004
  3. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Do you have any ticket numbers to go along with those? It sounds like something is seriously wrong with your install.

4. rligg

rligg Well-Known Member

I would like to see a client ssl install wizard. I would alos like to see Agora cgi updated. Oh and chroot :)

5. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

I can't think of any specific features at the moment, but as a general idea, here is what I think the different versions should be like.

Pro
    Should be designed to make it easier for experienced users to modify or customize various things with a way to save the changes when upgrades are done. It should also be the one with all the extra luxuries and have the ability to decide which features will or will not be in the end users cpanel based on package configurations.

Standard
    Should be pretty much a control panel for admins and end users with lots of features, like it is now, but without luxuries that are normally supposed to be a seperate function. It should be pretty much stabilized, then only new features added and well tested before going to stable. Maybe have stable and edge so new features can be tested by those willing to try, and only added to stable after thorough testing.

Lite
    Should be just the very basic WHM and Cpanel for those who don't want a lot of extra features and software. No addon scripts or "extras", but just the basics needed to do the main things that need to be done.

6. damainman

damainman Well-Known Member

What is the difference between:

cPanel Lite
    &
    cPanel 9.0
    &
    cPanel Pro 2.0

???

7. WCW Fan

WCW Fan Well-Known Member

I'm gonng go with what mr.wonderful said fix current problems, and update old scripts, and services like mysql, etc

8. Myacen

Myacen Well-Known Member

What we would like to see

Fix the damm addon domain issues Ticket Number: 17825

Last response was over 3 months ago "I'm going to take over the ticket when I get a chance. " Thats from you Nick. This problem is my biggest concern we get atleast 5 tickets a day asking us to remove the zones.

Upgrade Mysql to 4.0.17 it fixes various bugs

Apache 2 option. Allow buildapache the option of using version 2

Virus Filtering. Instead of having the virus filtering (clam) server wide allow a switch in cpanel where customers can choose whether their email will be checked for virus's or not. IE they will be able to turn it off/on themselves

Temporary bandwidth upgrades. When a user goes over their limit allow us to add say X amount extra and at the start of the month it gets reset back to the original variable

The ability to have a seperate email server. It's difficult now but I would not mind having a seperate email server. Our servers send between 50-100k of email a day and it can slow down some servers. If we had the ability like Hsphere to allow seperate email servers, mysql etc it would make life alot easier.

Give clients the ability to edit their own DNS zones like Plesk. I mean the amount of times we get asked to modify an A record!. Make it an option in the tweak settings.

In the system stats have the hostname for the server displayed. We get asked quite a bit about which server a client is on.

Allow us to add our own documentation easily to cpanel.

Fix the issue with backslahses on addon domain names

Add a script to the mysql admin page. Where users can test their mysql settings. They will be able to select "test" and if it's successful it will tell you that but if it fails it will give a few reasons as to why the database connection has failed.

Give the ability to turn off cgi server wide easily.

Remove all the crap in /scripts/ that is no longer required IE newexim

Remove all the crap addon cgi stuff and formmail. Update it.

Remove mailman. It's shocking or atleast give us the option of something else Ie php/mysql app.

Allow users the ability to change their own theme (tweak settings)

Make the server information a option to view/not view. Allow us to tweak what we want to show. EG the kernel version

9. rvskin

rvskin Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

- Build-in virus and spam filtering
    - Well design CLUSTERING system
    - Simple Billing system for reseller who don't have enough resource to purchase complete billing software.

10. eos1

eos1 Well-Known Member

- cPanel's ticketing system (for Resellers)
    - Server Side Photoshop(like) w/Gallery+Private Gallery for proofing to clients. (for designer/photographer)
    - Choice of Default Home Directory. (currently, whatever set here, still it will select the disk or partition with the least usage.)
    - Remove Hosting package Info, Service Status, kernel version or Make them option to show or not.
    - Replace with cPanel logo or re-arrange without empties when you turn off some features.
    - Put each DB to user's directory, if possible.
    - limit Postgresql DB for each user like MySQL.

- please don't forget to set Xskin as default
    - please remove or update scripts that are not working.
    - Decrease the price of licenses, if you can...
    - Nick's picture...

*please inform those changes to current cPanel license owners by email, instead of posting this forum.

#10 eos1, Feb 19, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2004
  11. thedavid

thedavid Well-Known Member

cPanel Lite
    #1, ahead of everything else in lite, pro, 9.0, or anything. Fix the addon domains. Every time someone creates one, and realizes they pointed it to the wrong directory, removes it to try to fix it - automatic support ticket. Want to transfer accounts from server to server? Manually recreate every single addon domain.

As far as the rest... Just the basics, nothing further than what we're at now + bugfixes.

Actually update the manual (we get questions why we have version 7's manual for version 8).. even if it's just incrementing the version number to match.

Fix the currently deployed features that were never realized - the limited clustering feature that does nothing now, for example.

Cheap licenses for this.

cPanel 9.0
    Add more goodies to buildapache. Make apache 2.0 a tested option for those who want it.

Real chrooting - make virtual sandboxes for the users so as to reduce liability of a compromised account.

Built-in sitebuilder applet, even if it's limited.

cPanel Pro 2.0
    Image hosting support (such as the mailonly theme, a theme that just allows for the upload of images via ftp without the extra stuff - with image hosting features. Extend the picture resizer stuff to include this)

Quicktime streaming - darwin is a free daemon, include the option of streaming with it.

Shoutcast streaming - another free daemon, that could be centrally controlled (now it requires separate runtimes, separate configs, etc..)

"Real" clustering. Separate servers for mail, dns, pop3, www. Make it easier for us to grow, rather than having a ton of all-in-one boxes.

Real ticketing system, incorporated into cpanel. Not this email or pipe to perl script stuff. Incorporate this with the clustering, so as to only require 1 login to check tickets submitted across all servers.

All I can think of at 5 am. More tomorrow.

12. Myacen

Myacen Well-Known Member

David your problem with addons sounds similar to ours... let me guess you need to remove them manually from /var/named also?

13. Higgins

Higgins Well-Known Member

The only Thing what i wish to see in the new releases is a Chroot-Environment

14. tAzMaNiAc

tAzMaNiAc Well-Known Member

Virus Filtering shouldn't be turned off by customers! This prevents liability on our part if someone points fingers at us for not helping to prevent viruses..

:)

It's best that all or none do it.

Brenden

15. Jeewhizz

Jeewhizz Well-Known Member

Without a doubt.

I'm sure there are many hosts in here that would send $50 to get thsi completed as a matter of urgency - say 100 people do, that's $5k to sort this problem out :D

16. Myacen

Myacen Well-Known Member

It's the clients responsibilty not yours. If they fail to have virus protection that's their own fault. The virus scanner is not going to catch all virus's and then what your screwed.

17. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

1) On the Add-On Domain front, how about getting it to properly handle them when moving an account from one server to another. I had a ticket on this open but it was about a year ago and I've already purged email from that long ago!

2) Fix the open_basedir/SSL bug I report last October (#28219). I was told this was fixed but it still is not.

3) A postkillwwwacct script possibility similar to postwwwacct. Refer to open ticket #32052.

18. WCW Fan

Actually upgrade to MySQL 4.0.18 would be better it also fixes various bugs

19. Myacen

Myacen Well-Known Member

I was unaware it was available. Yes 4.0.18 would be great. And can you reply to my ticket nick

20. WCW Fan

Heh no problem I too was unaware of it untill one of my customers pointed that out to me, ;)