The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New hard drive installed by host, but not sure which drive to mount.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vaughnt, Oct 27, 2007.

1. vaughnt

vaughnt Member

Hello-

I ran out of space on my backup drive and had my host replace it with a larger one. They did not mount the drive however, and the info I am seeing seems to conflict.

When I go to "Format/Mount a new Hard Drive" in WHM, it shows the following:
    Found Disk: hdb [Partition, Format and Mount] ALL DATA WILL BE LOST
    Found Disk: hdc [Partition, Format and Mount] ALL DATA WILL BE LOST

If I log in through shell however and run "fdisk /dev/hdb", it identifies my new 200GB disk. "fdisk /dev/hdc" results in "Unable to open /dev/hdc". Running "fdisk /dev/hda" identifies my root partition.

So, my choices in "Format/Mount a new Hard Drive" don't match the disks I can identify using fdisk. Obviously I'm not about to just click on a [Partition Format and Mount] link without knowing which disk it refers to, since at this point I am without backup.

Can anyone tell me how to get more info on the disks identified in "Format/Mount a new Hard Drive"?

I should point out that the "Physical Disks" section under WHM's Server Info matches the output of Fdisk.