Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

New Hard Drive Layout?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blipper, Jul 4, 2018.

1. blipper

blipper Active Member

Hi, I'm looking at building some new servers, typically I have two hard drives in the server:
    Drive 1 - Everything
    Drive 2 - /backup

I'm looking at doing something like this:
    Drive 1 - OS / cpanel / logs
    Drive 2 - /home
    Drive 3 - /MySQL
    Drive 4 - /backup

Is breaking things apart like this going to help performance much, or is it more work than it's worth? Or what other ideas might work well?

2. Jcats

Jcats Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It would help since you are separating the IO that would take place on a single drive especially separating /home and /var/lib/mysql but you may want to look into a raid with faster drives for some redundancy. Instead of having 3 different drives all without any redundancy, do a raid10 with 4 drives so you get 'double' the performance for read and writes and then move your backups to an external location(assuming the server only has 4 bays).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. blipper

blipper Active Member

Yes, good idea on the raid. I was looking at using AWS Elastic Block Storage which gives me high availability and durability on SSD storage.

4. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Glad to see @Jcats was able to give you some advice @blipper please let us know if you have any further questions!

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...