The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New HDD on cPanel server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dante78, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Dante78

Dante78 Well-Known Member

Hello

I have the following situation. On my dedicated server, the main HDD has reached his space limit so I need to attach a new HDD and transfer 2-3 large accounts on it and "train" cPanel to create new accounts on this new HDD called home2

How can I do it?

Can you explain to me step by step. I'm a new bee in this area and I need to learn

Thanks

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

After you mount the new drive as "home2", you can browse to "WHM >> Server Configuration >> Basic cPanel & WHM Setup" and ensure the following two options are set to the default value of "home":

"Enter the location where you wish for new users’ home directories to be created."
    "Additional home directories matching the following value will also be used for new home directory creations"

This will allow for new accounts to be created on the /home2 partition automatically. In addition, you can move existing accounts to the /home2 partition via the following option in Web Host Manager:

"WHM >> Account Functions >> Rearrange an Account"

Thank you.

3. Dante78

Hello Michael

This new drive will be also used in backup process? Packaging instances. I'm asking this because yesterday I had other HDD and cPanel used the old partition which is full, instead the new and empty one

Cheers

Ps thanks for help

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can specify where automatic backups are stored by editing the "Backup Destination" field in "WHM >> Backup >> Configure Backup". To note, it is not recommended to use a partition such as /home where file system quotas are enabled, and generally not recommended to use the same drive where the OS is installed (or where the home directory is stored).

When using "/scripts/pkgacct" manually, the second parameter can be used to specify where the backup is stored. EX:

Code:
    /scripts/pkgacct user1 /home2
    The above command would backup the "user1" account and store the backup file on the /home2 partition.

Thank you.

5. Dante78

Hello Michael

The automatically daily backup process (who's storing the archives on a FTP disk outside server) is using home1 to pack accounts instead home2 which is empty. I don't store backups locally and I don't do manually backups

Thanks alot

Cheers

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The home path for FTP backups is hard coded, so that can not be adjusted at this time. However, you can create a symbolic link from a directory on the /home2 partition to /home/cpbackuptmp as a workaround for this issue. EX:

Code:
    # mkdir /home2/cpbackuptmp
    # ln -s /home2/cpbackuptmp /home/cpbackuptmp
    This will ensure that the temporary files created when backups are generated are stored on the /home2 partition.

Thank you.

7. Dante78

Hello

Thanks for your answer. Please let me take it slow this one. For the moment i plugged the hdd into the server. I need to know commands do i need to run to mount it as home2 and add it in fstab.

Thanks