Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

New Here-Can't figure out how to transfer a domain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by andirn1, Apr 27, 2007.

1. andirn1

andirn1 Member

Hello. I am relatively new to cpanel and I just figured out how to make my main web template come up on my domain name. WHew! That took awhile.
    Problem is I am a reseller and plan to make many more websites but I need to be able to get other's people's accounts set up. The problem I'm having is figuring out how to get a new domain name transferred. I had a domain at GoDaddy, I pointed the dns servers to my new website, and then what? Do I try to add on the name somewhere else? I have tried that in the Parked domain and addon domain section and I am getting "error out of the wrapper" something or other and that the name is being removed.
    Can someone tell me the correct way to go about adding a domain name? Thanks!

2. DaveUsedToWorkHere

DaveUsedToWorkHere Well-Known Member

If you want to add a second domain to your cPanel account, you'll need to use either a parked domain or an addon domain.

A parked domain will point that new domain to the content of your current domain.

An addon domain allows you to put the content for the other domain in a different directory so you can have 2 different sites.

You'll need to make sure that your domain points to the nameservers your web host provided and then add a parked on addon domain accordingly.

Of note: it will take 24-96 hours for the domain to work in a browser as the DNS information needs to spread through the internet.

3. andirn1

andirn1 Member

Thanks Dave, maybe that is why I do not see what I am looking for, maybe I have not given it enough time. I'll give it a day or so to see what happens.