Legend102

Registered
Dec 20, 2019
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hello,
My name is Chris. I am a locksmith in Central Pennsylvania. Months ago I paid my Ex-boss to help me design a website to get going with google ads and have a site name to start building google ranks. But he has not answered me in months after I have paid him and purchased domains and cpanel hosting for him. Unfortunately I have NO clue how to use cpanel =(. I am posting to see if anybody would possibly be able to help me on how to edit the website he has in place? i need to make some minor changes but i have Zero experience with cpanel. If anyone would be willing to help me it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your time!
Chris C

Last edited by a moderator:

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! I'm sorry the previous web designer has left you hanging without any communication. Unfortunately, that's something we hear about quite often.

In cases like this you may need a specialized web developer instead of someone that is familiar with the cPanel software. While cPanel does a ton of things to help a site admin, such as creating emails, managing FTP users, creating and managing database, and other admin tasks, it doesn't actually create the site content for you. Depending on how the site was created, it could be something that is easy to manage like Wordpress, where you have a control panel to access to make edits using a GUI editor. Or, it could be custom-built PHP, which would require a developer to take a look at.

We try not to post much public information, such as your domain name or IP address, in the forums pages, but we would need more detail on how the site is constructed before we would be able to offer any specific advice for the best way to make site updates. Would you happen to know if there was a tool like Wordpress used for the creation of the site?

Reactions: kadrin

Legend102

Registered
Dec 20, 2019
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hey there! I'm sorry the previous web designer has left you hanging without any communication. Unfortunately, that's something we hear about quite often.

In cases like this you may need a specialized web developer instead of someone that is familiar with the cPanel software. While cPanel does a ton of things to help a site admin, such as creating emails, managing FTP users, creating and managing database, and other admin tasks, it doesn't actually create the site content for you. Depending on how the site was created, it could be something that is easy to manage like Wordpress, where you have a control panel to access to make edits using a GUI editor. Or, it could be custom-built PHP, which would require a developer to take a look at.

We try not to post much public information, such as your domain name or IP address, in the forums pages, but we would need more detail on how the site is constructed before we would be able to offer any specific advice for the best way to make site updates. Would you happen to know if there was a tool like Wordpress used for the creation of the site?
Thank you for your response, I see he is using WordPress, theirs a blog using it, I am currently figuring out how i can edit that. You said theirs a GUI editor for WordPress?
Could you tell me how I am able to get to that?

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
As @kadrin mentioned, while we're happy to help with cPanel problems, our support for third-party applications is going to be very limited.

Usually to get access to the Wordpress admin pages you can go to yourdomain.com/wp-admin, although you would need the username and password. If you have access to the cPanel account there are ways you can manually edit the database details to get access to the control panel if you don't know the Wordpress admin credentials, but that is something like would be beyond the scope of a forum post. The Wordpress forums would be able to guide you on how to edit the database details manually to regain access to the system if you did need to do that work.