The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Host [moved]

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by chuckers240, Oct 14, 2005.

1. chuckers240

chuckers240 Registered

New Host

I have a question. If i keep the same website, and same username *if i can* is there anyways i can keep my site up when i switch hosts? The host does allow cpanel also.. Or will i have to somehow back up my cpanel files? then reupload them when i get the new host?

2. aby

aby Well-Known Member

I am not sure if I am explaining .. what you asked for...
    Anyay when you sign up a new host and they have cpanel, if you can give them the ftp user name and password, they can easily transfer it. Then you may verify if everything is fine after the transfer , then change the nameserver values.

#2 aby, Oct 14, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  3. Murtaza_t

Murtaza_t Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Yeah aby is correct.. and when you transfer Cpanel to Cpanel with what aby said your username, your site name along with the addon domains, subdomains and park domains (if you have added any ) will remain same. Even the email address will be trasfered. Only the IP address changes rest all remains as it is...

Thats why we LOVE Cpanel... :)

4. aykfounder

aykfounder Well-Known Member

Of course, there is always the chance that someone will already have your username, then, you will have to pick a new one.

5. pshepperd

pshepperd Well-Known Member

If whoever does your transfer is knowlegeable they will be able to do a 0 downtime transfer.

If you have a dynamic site, that is forums or other things that take user input and put it into a database, you should suspend the ability for writing to these databases while the transfer takes place, and give users a reason why.

DNS takes 24 hours to fully propogate, if you reset your TTL to a low amount such as 600, most DNS servers will observe this number or at least supply a lower than 24 hour time for the host to be re-resolved.

In rare cases it can take 48 hours, but I simply dont support people who use ISPs like that.

Good luck, if you are a firstimer I suggest you hire someone more knowledgeable to tell you how to do it, or do it for you.

There are at least 3 very knowledgeable people including myself on here that I am sure would be willing to help you.

6. Murtaza_t

Murtaza_t Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Yeah there are chances that the server alreay have the user name you picked up, but that can be solved by a simple method... but what really concerns is that pshepperd said...
    But there are solutions to every problem,, I have transfered tons of Cpanel server and guarantee 0% downtime along with uptodate DBs.... :p