The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New install issue, need help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by prodiac, Jul 1, 2004.

1. prodiac

prodiac Member

I just installed cpanel for the first time, on a brand new machine. We are using a 15 day trial license to test it out. The install went perfect, and when I logged in to the system from port 2087, it recognized that this was my first time logging in. I went through the first step or two with no problems, then I got to the screen where it says "Initial Quota Scan"

This is what I see there:
    -------
    Quotas are now on
    Using new and old quota support
    |/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/\|Note: call resetquota with --useplanquotas to reset all quotas to plan defaults
    -------

And this crashes the system. Here are the specs on the server:

Dual Xeon 2.6ghz
    2GB RAM
    1 80 GB IDE Hard Drive
    2 x 200GB SATA drives using software raid through the Fedora installs Disk Druid
    Fedora Linux Core 2

After power cycling the server (that's all I could do), and trying again -- the same thing happens. Does anybody have any idea what may be causing this?

EDIT: I have also tried running the resetquota command like it says, and it did not help. I was watching top this time when it happened, and quotacheck shot up to 99.2% CPU Usage, which is obviously why I can not do anything.

Thanks,

Chris Eastman
    SplitInfinity Networks, Inc.

#1 prodiac, Jul 1, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2004
  2. coastinc

coastinc Well-Known Member

This may be an fs or hardware problem, I'd check the hardware first. It also may be a bad install of CPanel, I doubt it though.

If you would like us to look at it for you, just let us know.

3. prodiac

prodiac Member

I had figured it was because of the raid, so I went back and used the sata drives seperately, and it still didn't work right.

Quotas are now on
    /home
    /home2
    /homemirror
    /usr
    /var
    Using new and old quota support
    |/-\|/

and it crashes again, makes no sense .. ahh well, its friday night, time to enjoy the holiday weekend.

Guess I'll try switching back to Fedora 1 and trying that way.

4. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

its a Fedora Core 2 and cPanel incompatability issue... on certain systems.. the quotas lock the systems up...

If you disable cpanel from auto-running the initial quota configuration and dont use quotas.. you will be fine.. otherwise.. I have no idea how to fix that problem.

5. prodiac

prodiac Member

I just went back to Fedora 1 and I get the same exact message, with the weird characters, but the system does not lock up.

6. SirConfucious

SirConfucious Member

has there been any resolution on this? I am having the same problem.
    On initial quota setup, quotacheck runs okay for a few seconds, then boom, runs up to 100% processor usage, and then locks the machine.

I am also trying to run this on Fedora Core 2, which is technically listed as a supported OS, but if this is a common bug...

I would rather not have to run without quotas, as I can see bad things happening, and quotas work in FC2 on non cpanel machines.

If you are curious, this is running on a stock Dell PowerEdge 1750, with a fresh "minimum" install of FC2, running install of cpanel from today's cpanel universal isntaller. Machine is a 2.4gig Xeon, single 36gig scsi 10k drive, 512 megs of ram.

It appears as someone has already posted a bug about this:
    http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=842

#6 SirConfucious, Jul 20, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2004
  7. nitro2k4

nitro2k4 Registered

Yeah, we're having the same problem too, fresh minimal FC2 install, latest universal cpanel installed, and quotacheck goes boom. Tried the same quotacheck command on a non cpanel machine and it ran fine....

This is a showstopper for us, and it sounds like it's affecting quite a few people... pretty poor given that FC2 is supposed to be supported for cpanel ...

8. Darren

Darren Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

To everyone having this issue, I believe it's a problem with the kernel in Fedora 2.
    As tested by clients who submitted support tickets and on our own test box,
    simply running `quotaon -a` locks the server after about 5 seconds. This userland
    utility that comes with fedora 2 should not be locking up the server. We were able
    to boot the server without the quotaon lockup using a slighty older
    kernel "2.6.6-1.435.2.3" from rpm. Please try this or build one from source and let
    me know if solves the problem for you.

9. SirConfucious

SirConfucious Member

i have no problem with using quotas manually, just the fedora tools, it's simply cpanel's initial quota setup that buggers up. Skip this step, and enable quotas manually, and everything should be fine. Lame yes, but it works.

10. nitro2k4

nitro2k4 Registered

Another Clean install and build, and checked that the kernel is 2.6.6-1.435.2.3 (which it was after the install - except we use the SMP version because of Hyper-Threading). I tried running quotaon -a, and it worked fine. Running "Initial Quota Setup" from cpanel still caused the box to lock up though... One thing I did notice though, is the garbage string that it throws up as it's dying is the the spinner from quotacheck. One of the things I tried was running the same quotacheck command that cpanel uses on a fresh non-cpanel Fedora 2 install, and it worked fine, but it does have a spinner at the end of the line while it's running to show the progress - and it spins a lot ... Could it be as simple as this spinner overflowing something?

11. javelin

javelin Member

Darren,
    we have compiled our own kernel 2.6.7 #1 SMP, with quota support and it doesnt work,
    i have found if you rename quotacheck and convertquota it stops the box from locking up,
    but of course doesnt allow you to use quotas.

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 62576 Feb 18 03:50 convertquota-old*
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 88248 Feb 18 03:50 quotacheck-old*
    if that helps any

regards jav

12. antileech

antileech Registered

Im having this to, so i just skipped that step.

anti-leech

13. javelin

javelin Member

any fix or workarounds that anyone is using ?
    as its very hard to tell customers they have a 50mb limit yet no way of even monitoring their usage
    and its even more difficult to bill the customer for excess when theres no way to check other than doing a manual process to check space...

regards jav

14. BenThomas

BenThomas Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As previously reported by Darren, this seems to be a kernel bug. I had previously told Darren that the issue was resolved with a Fedora kernel update, but that does not seem to be the case. Apparently it working under a newer kernel was a fluke as the issue still exists on our test servers. Sorry for the confusion.

I did however have positive results with a vanilla 2.6.7 kernel built from source as well as a 2.6.7 kernel patched using Andrew Morton's patch set (mm-sources 7). I'm still doing some testing, and hope to definitively prove that this issue is due to Fedora's patched kernel. I'll report my results here for everyone's benefit.

15. javelin

javelin Member

good to know you guys are looking into it.
    you said you had positive results from the vanilla 2.6.7 ?
    what options do we need to enable to in the config to get these results ?
    can definitly help you out with testing, as our servers are ment to go live monday and being able to do quotas off the bat would be a good thing.. plus it means i dont need to build a development server just to test it out later...

tis allllll good
    jav

16. BenThomas

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I recommend grabing a 2.6.7 tarball from kernel.org, then applying your favorite patchset (if you have a favorite). Patch the kernel sources, then copy over Fedora's config from your latest rpm installed kernel. Run "make oldconfig" to rectify the differences in Fedora's config and the new kernel's config, then build and install it. Since you're building a custom kernel anyways, I recommend optimizing the kernel for your processesor. That should give you a nice little performance boost while still providing you with a flexible kernel. Other than that its probably a good idea to keep the kernel as close to Fedora's configuration as possible. Redhat/Fedora may not be perfect, but they are experts on configuring kernels to work reliably with a variety of hardware and architectures.

17. BenThomas

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am 100% sure that this is a Fedora kernel bug. I can reliably reproduce this issue on our testing servers with a fresh install, both before and after updating the entire system using yum. This is also irrelevant of the kernel version (supplied by Fedora).

The only thing that I've seen that will effectively resolve this issue is building a new kernel from source.

18. javelin

javelin Member

cpanelben
    the current kernel that we are running (2.6.7) is custom build, although i didnt base it off rh's original config.. mainly due to the fact so they include so much, and our servers dont need to support almost every possible configuration known to man..
    that said is there anything specific that you know of to enable / disable in the kernel config to get it going ?
    i can post you my config if that would help

regs jav

19. [iG]

[iG] Member

For everyone who is still having this problem on a "Fedora Core 2 Machine"

Simply, rpm -ihv one of the following 2.6.7 Kernels

(SMP-i686)
    http://files.oktagone.net/linux/kernel/kernel-smp-2.6.7-1.499.i686.rpm

(x86-i686)
    http://files.oktagone.net/linux/kernel/kernel-2.6.7-1.499.i686.rpm

Once installed, edit your /boot/grub/grub.conf to make the 2.6.7 kernel boot up first, and then simply reboot.

Once your box is back online, run the Initial Quota Setup from within WHM, and you are all set to go.

(Note: These RPM's are the official development RPM's for Fedora Core 3, taken off http://download.fedora.redhat.com)

20. javelin

javelin Member

looking at that kernel config quotas are not enabled..
    iG i understand you can get past the initial config of the quotas but without quotas actually configured i bet you get no actual usage readouts

regards jav