The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New IP wont show up in available IPs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TCarter, Jan 26, 2009.

1. TCarter

TCarter Member

Ok, so this is a bit irritating (on my part).

I own a server. I run vps's off of it. One of which is my main sites vps.

I added another IP to the account.

I can see the new IP in the "Show/Edit Reserved IP list" in WHM.

However, When I go to change a sites IP...my drop down is..empty. Nothing there. My New IP isnt added.

I had performed the rebuild of the ip pool. Replies with "System has 0 Free IPs". I even restarted the VPS, no go.

I did the IP Migration, and entered the new IP. I noticed in the boxes it was going to change all the sites to the new IP except for those with dedicated IPs. So I removed the new IP from them, and just left the new account with the new IP.

It ended up transferring all of them to the new IP. Ok, so I then did "Change Multiple Sites IP" and changed it back to the shared IP. This has caused multiple sites to not be found, since the whole ip propogation crap, even though I changed them back within minutes.

Regardless, I changed the site i wanted's ip to the shared...then tried to change it back...once again..drop down is empty.

Any Ideas?

2. SB-Nick

SB-Nick Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Try issuing a "ifconfig" command on that VPS and check if the newly registered ip address is actually attached on the server.

If it is not attached, edit /etc/ips file and add the ip address like the example below,

192.168.0.100:255.255.255.0:192.168.0.255

save the file, exit and run a /etc/init.d/ipaliases restart.

Re issue a "ifconfig" and check if the ip is attached, if it is, re open your WHM and see if the ip shows up.

#2 SB-Nick, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  3. TCarter

TCarter Member

ifconfig shows the ip that was added.

the /etc/ips file is completely blank.

I dont quite understand your example of: 192.168.0.100:255.255.255.0:192.168.0.255

Is the 1st set the actual IP, then the second set the mask, then whats the 3rd?

I dont quite have a decent example to go off of for my current ips.

Thanks in advance.

Also, I did the "/etc/init.d/ipaliases restart" since ifconfig showed it. However, doesnt show up in cpanel still.

4. stubbers

stubbers Registered

Carter, we're having the same problem. Our IP's are entered correctly and attached. However they do not appear on an ifconfig output. Only the primary Ip appears on the ifconfig.

We are running a CentOS Vserver with a Debian host os.

Any help anyone can give would be appreciated! :)

5. garrettp

garrettp Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    /etc/ips is where cPanel stores any extra IP aliases beyond the base IP of the server.

What TCarter gave is the format used in that file, that is:

<IP address>:<Net Mask>:<Gateway>

If after adding the appropriate entry to that file and restarting ipaliases it still doesn't allow you to use it, I would check your httpd.conf and ensure there are no vhost entries therein for that IP.