The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Kernel Won't Boot, Any Suggestions???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nitromax, Aug 17, 2003.

1. nitromax

nitromax Well-Known Member

I have successfully updated the kernel with up2date on two of our RH 7.3 servers that uses lilo as the boot loader, with absolutely no problems.

But on another one of our older RH 7.2 machines (kernel version 2.4.7-10) I go thru the up2date process and I just can't get the new kernel to boot. I think it's using grub, but I'm honestly not sure. I have no anaconda-ks.cfg file like our other newer servers do. I have updated the lilo.conf file and the grub.conf file just to make sure, but still nothing. I have also followed ALL suggestions I have read in other posts regarding all aspects of this process and what should be in the lilo.conf and grub.conf files with no success...

After much research I have found that my /proc/cmdline file looks like this:

initrd=initrd.img root=/dev/sda1 BOOT_IMAGE=vmlinuz auto

No mention of the new kernel in that line. I think that is the problem, as our 7.3 machine which I upgraded with no problems looks like this:

auto BOOT_IMAGE=linuxnew ro root=307 BOOT_FILE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-19.7

That clearly shows the new kernel in the command line options. But again, the 7.3 machine uses lilo for sure! So I'm not sure exactly if that cmdline file on our 7.2 machine is the problem, and if it is I'm not sure exactly what to change in to make it work. I'm not sure what the "ro root=307" is either. Or perhaps it's the initrd=initrd.img which is the problem.

Another thing I just noticed is that on the 7.2 machine in the cmdline file it shows BOOT_IMAGE=vmlinuz. Neither my lilo.conf or grub.conf file contains that "vmlinuz" as the label, like the 7.3 BOOT_IMAGE=linuxnew does. The "linuxnew" does appear as the label for my new kernel in the 7.3 lilo.conf file. So that again puzzles me as to which boot loader is being used. I do have a "vmlinuz" in the /boot directory which is a softlink as follows: vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.4.20-19.7. That is the new kernel.

Can anyone with a more in depth knowledge of kernel updating point me in the right direction as to know for sure what boot loader is being used on this 7.2 machine? Remember, I don't have an anaconda-ks.cfg file to check as I have read in every other post. And can anyone tell me for sure what I would change the cmdline file to if that is indeed what needs to be changed?

Any help would be appreciated! :)

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

#1 nitromax, Aug 17, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2003
  2. coastinc

coastinc Well-Known Member

E-Mail me at sales@coastinc.com and I'd be more than glad to look at it for you.

3. nitromax

nitromax Well-Known Member

Thanks for the nice offer, I really do appreciate it. But I am having serious problems with my current NOC and their complete lack of support. So I am moving to another NOC. This server will soon be gone in a week or so.

But thanks again...

4. ndj1022

ndj1022 Well-Known Member

Hi, to get the new kernel to work you have to place the info of the new kernel thats in /etc/lilo.conf above the older kernel info.

Find which kernels you have installed

rpm -q kernel

See which kernel you are running

uname -r

To edit your lilo.conf file, SU - to root.

and type: pico -w /etc/lilo.conf

Like this:

prompt
    timeout=50
    default=linux
    boot=/dev/hda
    map=/boot/map
    install=/boot/boot.b
    message=/boot/message
    linear

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-19.7
    label=linux