The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Server DNS Setup basics

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by westhost-neil, Jun 26, 2005.

1. westhost-neil

westhost-neil Well-Known Member

This is probably a basic set of questions but I've been looking and reading about DNS and still can't get my head around this.

I have a new cPanel install that is working fine, I've now come to do some DNS setup and I'm a little stuck.

I have a domain name registered with net2 which allows me to change the DNS setup aswell as the nameservers.

My setup is as follows:

I want my server to be the primary DNS server so I've called it ns0.westhost.co.uk. Under nameserver setup I have the following:

ns0.westhost.co.uk - 0.0.0.0 (obviously the real ip adddress is there instead of the zeros)
    ns1.mythic-beasts.com - 0.0.0.0

In the server setup I have the above under the appropriate fields for primary & secondary nameservers (mine being the primary)

The problem I'm having is that when I changed the nameservers records with net2 I get an email shortly afterwards saying:

ERROR redelegating westhost.co.uk

V024 Missing glue record for server ns0.westhost.co.uk.

Should I be editing the DNS records on net2 or just the nameservers?

I feel that I understand how it all works, I just need it explaining in plain english.

Thank you

Neil Westlake
    Westhost.co.uk

#1 westhost-neil, Jun 26, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
  2. KMK Enterprises

KMK Enterprises Well-Known Member

Hey Neil,

In addition to setting up the nameserver with your registrar, you must also set them up on your server and enter A records for them. Somewhere here in the forums are one or two very good tutorials on setting up nameservers. Just do a search.

3. westhost-neil

westhost-neil Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply, after contacting net2 I've found out that they need to change the nameservers even though they give you the option to this yourself.

So all sorted now!