The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Server DNS

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by ydrargyros, Jul 24, 2008.

1. ydrargyros

ydrargyros Member

Bought myself a nice dedicated server (since my last web hosting provider claimed a client of mine's site wasn't "appropriate" for a shared hosting enviroment). Tried to find my way through the new server but still cant figure out how to configure my DNS server and stuff.

I want what i did to my old server, ns1.xxxxxxxx.com - ns2.xxxxxxxxx.com to be registered as new nameservers ( but on the process of my own dedicated) so that i can make my xxxxxxxxxx domain work again (as well as my clients')!
    Till now from the master WHM account all i managed doing was seeing my site through the ip!

Heeeelp please!

2. ydrargyros

ydrargyros Member

To be more simple and precise.

my site will be www.xxxxxxxx.com
    my nameservers will be ns1.xxxxxxxx.com and ns2.xxxxxxxx.com

My site will have these nameservers registered in the registrar,
    and my clients will use these nameservers to make their sites appear off line.

that's what i wanna do...possible?

3. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

yes..sure it is possible.

1. Assign A records to ns1 and ns2 via WHM's 'Edit DNS zone' for your domain .
    2. Set up child nameservers for ns1 and ns2 from your domain registration control panel.

Once you will do above your clients can use your custom nameservers.

4. ydrargyros

ydrargyros Member

why is it that i feel so useless?
    anyway i dunno if i did what you suggested but i certainly know that what i did didn;t work...
    could you please be more detailed (step by step)?
    my english stink!

5. xyber13

xyber13 Well-Known Member

Hi

Hi,

First things first, you want to make their site appear ONLINE or OFFLINE. Basically, when you first log in you start from the very top with the Server Setup. Tweak it as needed.

I am sure you have created your child nameservers with your Domain registrars and pointed them to the respective IP addresses.

Next you just have to edit the chosen nameservers and IP assigned in your WHM. After that be sure to log out and log in again. If an A records have not been assigned, you will be prompted. Make sure your popup blocker allows.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

Rgrds,
    Xyber13.

6. ydrargyros

ydrargyros Member

so far so good, i think i did something, but i'll have to wait for about 24 hours for the registrant to update :(
    thanx for the advice though!Seems like i'm gonna need some studying on all these

7. xyber13

xyber13 Well-Known Member

Hmmm

Check your PM...

Rgrds,
    -Xyber.