The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Server - MySQL5 vs. Migrating MySQL4 accounts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrcbrown, Jan 12, 2008.

1. mrcbrown

mrcbrown Well-Known Member

Okay -

I am just curious, I have been looking to migrate to MySQL5 for some time, and since I am in the middle of migrating to some new hardware in a new DC, I am just curious if there are any known issues in setting up the server to default to MySQL5 and Importing accounts from the old cPanel box which are using MySQL4?

Just trying to lay out a bit of a game plan really, just figured I'd ask if anyone had any experience with and any problems I could/should expect - also if there are any webapps out there which are not friendly with MySQL5 for any reason.

Any feedback/suggestions/insults about my cat - gladly welcomed!

-CB

2. mrcbrown

mrcbrown Well-Known Member

Update to my own post for anyone else curious - if you have MySQL4 backups and restore them to MySQL5 based machine it'll import fine, thus far with the test sites running things like Wordpress, Mint, etc. no issues, sites came over clean and working fine.

3. harpon

harpon Active Member

migration

I have to migrate 250+ accounts from a machine, that is getting a tad old, to a new machine so I can retire the old machine.

I face the same problem, since i want to run MySql 5 on the new server and have MySql4 on the old box.

Did you simply perform an import from the MySql5 WHM server and does it take care of the conversion?

If you did have any issues afterwards, what should I look out for?

Thanks for the post too. Reading it made me feel a little more confident about the migration of this particular machine.