Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

New Server - Recommended Partitions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mpope, Sep 27, 2001.

1. mpope

mpope Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have a brand spankin new server that I am going to install RedHat 7.1 and CPanel3 on. I have (dual raid scsi) 36.4 Gb drives for the main drive, and a 60gb drive for a /backup drive. The server also has 1.5 GB ram.

I would like to know the recommended partitions and sizes to use with cpanel. Ie.. I believe the /swap file should be 2x the memory, correct? (I heard this a while back, but am not sure if it applies with this amount.) I am also unsure what other partitions there should be and how big they should be. (I do know that there should be a /var, /etc, /home, /usr).

If someone could post their partition sizes on a similar server, or suggest to me what size I should make the partitions, it would be great!

Thanks!
    Matt Pope
    Bravidio Networks

[Edited on 9/27/01 by mpope]

2. bdraco

bdraco Guest

[quote:3d43181531]Hello,

I have a brand spankin new server that I am going to install RedHat 7.1 and CPanel3 on. I have (dual raid scsi) 36.4 Gb drives for the main drive, and a 60gb drive for a /backup drive. The server also has 1.5 GB ram.

I would like to know the recommended partitions and sizes to use with cpanel. Ie.. I believe the /swap file should be 2x the memory, correct? (I heard this a while back, but am not sure if it applies with this amount.)

[/quote:3d43181531]

Only really matter if you are using a kernel less then 2.4.8
    [quote:3d43181531]
    I am also unsure what other partitions there should be and how big they should be. (I do know that there should be a /var, /etc, /home, /usr).

If someone could post their partition sizes on a similar server, or suggest to me what size I should make the partitions, it would be great!

Thanks!
    Matt Pope
    Bravidio Networks

[Edited on 9/27/01 by mpope] [/quote:3d43181531]

/usr at least 3000
    /var at least 1024 (2048 if you can)
    / at least 1024
    swap at least 512
    /home the rest

3. wscreate

wscreate Active Member

Make sure your /usr directory is a minimum of 3 gigs. That directory will hold the log files for your hosted accounts. If you have several hundred domains, then it will use up a lot of space.

My first Cpanel was with VDI. The guy who installed it at VDI recommended only 1 gig for the /usr directory. What a huge $%&@ mistake that was. I\'m constantly fighting to keep the logs cleaned up so the /usr partition doesn\'t fill up. When the /usr partition gets full, some accounts, many of them lose their email addresses. They just disappear and all of a sudden their emails start bouncing.

I learned from experience. :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Gadget

Gadget Member

you can always move the domlogs dir to /home/domlogs or /home/usr/domlogs or whatever, then create a link to them.

5. Brownie

Brownie Well-Known Member

if your gonna use a lot of MySQL, make sure you have 2-3 gigs on /var

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...