The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New server setup - Nameserver Ip problem - I have searched this forum but nothing

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by fearmydesign, Feb 26, 2011.

1. fearmydesign

fearmydesign Well-Known Member

Hello, I have just setup a new cpanel server but it's not working correctly. The ip is 71.246.249.172 and the domain name that I am trying to set it up is through GoDaddy and I have already given then the ns1.ileansolutions.co and ns2.ileansolutions.co

When I go into WHM and try to go into Nameserver IPs and enter the Nameserver as ns1.ileansolutions.co it doesn't want to take it.

The hostname is setup as server1.ileansolutions.co

Can anyone tell me if I am missing some steps or settings? Please help, thank you

Cheers,

2. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    is WHM giving you an error?

The setup of your nameservers should be as follows:

- enter them in /etc/wwwacct.conf (or whm > basic cpanel/whm setup)
    - enable bind (/scripts/setupnameserver bind)
    - in your domain's DNS zone, add a record for ns1 and ns2 (unless those have their own zones)
    - From godaddy, register those DNS servers
    - point your domain to those nameservers

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Of note, you would not need to use WHM > Nameserver IPs area at all to configure the nameservers. That area is only a display for the detected IPs for the nameservers.

Next, I did want to mention that you can use WHM > Basic cPanel & WHM Setup area to set the IP A records for the DNS zone for the nameservers.

1. Enter the nameserver names at the bottom in the "Nameservers" area
    2. Click "Add an A entry for this nameserver" button (do not click the "Assign IP address" button).
    3. In the popup screen that opens, enter the IP for that nameserver in the field below the text "Enter the IP address to use for the "A Entry" for hostname.domain.com"
    4. Click the "Add Entry" button next to the IP you added
    5. Close the popup once you are finished
    6. Repeat these steps for the second nameserver

4. fearmydesign

fearmydesign Well-Known Member

Thank you both, Vanessa & cPanelTristan, solved!

Here's what I was missing... after I setup my NS1 + NS2 in GoDaddy, I had to go into my WHM and actually create an account (the main domain), then I went into the Edit DNS Zone and setup ns1 + ns2 = IP and also server1 = IP
    I guess this is only done once with the main domain that the server will work with.

Thanks again