The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new server with 6 hard drives

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by arkain, Jun 25, 2006.

1. arkain

arkain Well-Known Member

What is the best way to do this?

I have a server with 6 hard drives, and wanting to install cPanel on the 1st one, and use the rest of the space for /home, and the ones can go from /home2-6.

when install centos, should I not select the other drives, and let cPanel deal with it later in the WHM setup screen? Or should I included during the centos setup? I found out that if I include it into Centos 4.3 setup, and later in WHM and select the other HD to format and mount, it screws up my filesystem and my server start acting up... Or is there a manual way to mount 'already-formatted' hard drive within ssh/cpanel/linux?

Any help would be kindly appreciated.

2. bhd

bhd Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If the other drives are blank, I would fdisk and partition them manually, then format and add them to fstab as /home2, /home3/ etc.

3. arkain

arkain Well-Known Member

I am extremely newbie at this, mind sharing me some step by step? Other drives are empty and band new. I believe Centos 4.3 format all the drives during the setup process, therefore, I guess all I need to do now is the mount it? Mind helping me thus far?