The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Settings in cPanel File Manager

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zabberwan, Jun 14, 2011.

1. zabberwan

zabberwan Member

As of late, less than a fortnight or so I noticed that File Manager and Legacy File Manager both have 3 or 4 new buttons in the file viewer.

These additions are a total mess and a farce in my humble opinion for every time you make a change to your document you are confronted with a new file type dialogue box which prompts you to save your file in the web friendly UTF-8 format! In fact the very appearance of the box is unfriendly, sick and annoying. Because even after you have saved the file in the UTF-8 format, it still opens the file in ascii format and you are forced to tackle the blasted dialogue applet again!

The setting: Disable Character Encoding Verification Dialogs seems to be there only for cosmetics as this does not work either.

I tried my Webhost guessing that they may have changed the setting in the WHM, but that is not the case as they said that they have no such settings available and they suggested that this may be the work of a new headless upgrade of cPanel.

Can you please suggest someway to bypass this nuisance or even to go back a version?

Thank you

zabberwan

2. zabberwan

zabberwan Member

If you have no workaround or resolutions, the burning question then is:

IS THIS AN ISSUE IN CPANEL AT ALL OR WHM SETTINGS OR IS IT THE WEBHOST?

Thanks for any input..

zabberwan

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Sounds like a browser issue to me, have you tried another browser to confirm that its not?

4. zabberwan

zabberwan Member

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I tried with it Firefox 4, Google, ie9 and Safari 5. All showed the same thing. So, it may not be the browser. Here are some screenshots in FF4:

http://e-junctions.com/uploads/images/1308219875-U1.jpg

http://e-junctions.com/uploads/images/1308219425-U1.jpg

http://e-junctions.com/uploads/images/1308218810-U1.jpg

The message is extremely annoying especially while I am building a registration/login system and need to test rather profusely.

Would appreciate any further clues or resolutions.

zabberwan

5. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Try this: On cPanel main page, at bottom find the link to "Reset all interface settings" and click that. Next open File Manager again, (selecting your options for it on first open) now in FM find a file you can test on, click it once to highlight and then click the Edit button at top of FM.

Here's the important step, on the first window that comes up when you clicked Edit, there is a button titled "Disable Encoding Check" click that. You'll get another message about not verifying encoding for you, click ok.

That should get rid of the check.

6. zabberwan

zabberwan Member

Thanks for the steps, but the box for "Select Character Encoding" continues to appear and needs to be clicked every time to proceed.

I tried and even changed the settings from us-ascii to utf-8, but the box just won't go away. I tried this also using Chrome.

Does the Encoding required to be changed? I am quite comfortable leaving it as us-ascii since I am using US English as my settings.

This was never an issue before, but now it seems like sand in the works

zabberwan

7. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I followed the steps outlined and did not touch that drop down menu to change it to anything else.

If the steps above didn't solve it, and you're fairly sure its not a browser issue, I suggest a ticket to cPanel support.

8. zabberwan

zabberwan Member

Thank you so much.

I have now opened a ticket with the Webhost, and if there is need to open a ticket with cPanel, then I suppose they should do it since I am not a direct customer, but they are. Shall inform you should they all be unable to resolve the issue.

Have a nice evening (or morning?)!

zabberwan

9. itforchange

itforchange Registered

I am having this same problem which I didn't experience in the past....both in Firefox and Safari so far. Just upgraded to the latest version of cPanel through WHM.

Any suggestions? The extra clicks are tiresome when doing web development as you might imagine.

Thanks,

Michael

10. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Are you seeing this behavior with the x3 theme?

11. zabberwan

zabberwan Member

Hello,

Yes, the problem continues and also in the X3 Theme. I tried with my Webhost, but they too simply replied it to be a problem created by cPanel in the upgrade. I suppose it is the work of some shady non-English developers in cPanel who have a personal problem with encoding.

I would suggest that you do (if you haven't already) as suggested by Infopro:
    This however, does not get rid of the check, (Disable Encoding Check setting is only hog-wash), but nevertheless you would have to click the "Proceed" button when the encoding dialog box appears and keep the encoding as it is.

@ Michael
    Since you have the WHM you can open a ticket with cPanel for a workaround; I can't as I have only the cPanel. Let us also know if there is a resolution to the pesky nuisance.

zabberwan

12. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider

If you open a ticket here:

https://tickets.cpanel.net/submit/index.cgi?step=2&reqtype=tickets&product=cpwhm

and reference this thread, someone should be able to attempt to replicate this behavior (I've not been able to successfully replicate this on any live or test machine) and open a report for you.