The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New site erratically fails to connect

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by iToke, Mar 14, 2012.

1. iToke

iToke Active Member

Hi,
    I've transferred a site from our shared hosting to our dedicated server, both provided by Heart Internet.
    The site has been assigned a new IP address that was spare on our dedicated server and the DNS settings are now set and seem ok after being assigned more than 24hrs ago.
    The site - /http://www.eventservicesonline.co.uk/ sometimes connects and then sometimes doesn't, I've managed to upload all the content and set up the database, but now the site is off-line again and can't access it via FTP or WWW.
    I've restarted Apache but really don't know what else to check.

Any pointers much appreciated.
    Thanks

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Check to make sure you do not have any firewall rules in place that could be blocking access attempts to port 80. Also, check to see if you notice any specific errors in the Apache error log:

Code:
    /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log
    Thank you.

3. iToke

iToke Active Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I've checked the error_log at the location you specified, nothing out of the ordinary, though the file is 70MB due to errors going back to 2010! Is it safe to delete this log? Will it auto create a new one?

I did check the firewall and noticed a few strange entries in "Last 100 iptables logs" (I'm using ConfigServer Security & Firewall - csf v5.48)

There are a lot of entries for 79.170.45.146 (I checked, this IP belongs to Heart Internet)
    that state - Mar 14 13:20:50 ds-53842 kernel: Firewall: *UDP_IN Blocked*

and for 79.170.40.119 (again, Heart Internet) -
    Mar 14 13:07:36 ds-53842 kernel: Firewall: *ICMP_IN Blocked*

This is a bit beyond my knowledge, which isn't much to begin with regarding servers!

I just ran a security check and noticed this -
    WARNING Unable to resolve nameserver [ns2.mainnameserver.com] within 5 seconds

#3 iToke, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Rather than deleting the Apache error log, you should setup log rotation for it via:

"WHM >> Service Configuration >> Apache Configuration >> Log Rotation"

If you continue to experience issues accessing the website, please submit a support ticket via:

Submit A Ticket

Thank you.

5. iToke

iToke Active Member

thanks, have submitted a ticket

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    For anyone else experiencing the same type of issue, it looks like this was the result of connections to port 80 failing. The cause of this appears to stem from the data center, possibly related to an ARP conflict.

Thank you.

7. iToke

iToke Active Member

this was the response I got from my hosting support -

"Can you check the IP is still raised on your dedicated server? It may have dropped, as another server had hijacked it, but that server has now been altered so you may need to raise it again on yours."

Not sure what they did. It only seemed to have bought the site back temporarily as it's now down again!

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You should consult with your hosting provider to have them prevent this from happening again. This sort of issue can not be resolved through cPanel/WHM because the IP address provision is controlled by the hosting provider.

Thank you.

9. iToke

iToke Active Member

The site seems to be stable for the last few hours, so I'd like to thank cPanel support for all their help.
    Although it wasn't an issue with cPanel or WHM at all, they were quick to look and diagnose the issue and thankfully without charge.

From what I can make of all this in very basic terms, another site hosted by Heart Internet was using my IP address and both servers were fighting for the right to use it!

Fingers crossed, my server has been declared victorious :D