The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New sites and DNS zones problem.

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by carock, Sep 25, 2002.

1. carock

carock Well-Known Member

I'm having problems getting my sites to resolve, and in troubleshooting I noticed each new site I set up as a subdomain, created a new DNS zone in the named.conf file. This is crazy. cPanel should be smart enough to see a root domain zone and append info to it instead of creating all these new zone files.

Each new account is a new site, but we are using a single domain for temporary set-up. I did not expect each new account to set up a new zone.

Is this normal, or is there a config somewhere we're missing? Is this configurable, or do we have to manually maintain the DNS files to be correct? IF we do that, what will it break in Cpanel?

Thanks,
    Chuck

2. carock

carock Well-Known Member

A new account that is a subdomain.

We have three sites, the first is our main site, mydomain.com

We have two customers transferring their domains, but we want to set up the new sites on our server, and transfer the content from their existing hosts. So we create new accounts with site1.mydomain.com and site2.mydomain.com

When I click on them in the List accounts, they don't come up, and when I do nslookup from the secondary DNS server it doesn't resolve because it's looking for an A or CNAME record for the root zone mydomain.com where the primary DNS server (Cpanel box) has created an entirely new root zone file for site1.mydomain.com and site2.mydomain.com.

Am I thinking about creating these accounts the wrong way? We've had to do all of this manually for so long, I don't know of another way off the top of my head. This is S.O.P for us to just create a subdomain from our main zone for temporary use. We are also transferring away from a Cobalt server whicha also did things similar to ours, but still different than either.

Thanks,
    Chuck

3. carock

carock Well-Known Member

I see why, but the DNS isn't working becuase there is already a mydomain.com account, and bind is looking in that zone file for any of the subdomains &like it should&, and each of the new accounts that are sub domains are completely new zone files, and never get seen by bind.

At least that's what I think is happening, as I'm no DNS expert, but I have been creating and modifying DNS files for years that do work.

I see in the DNS functions, there is a synch with primary name server, but if the Cpanel server is a master, shouldn't there be a sync with slave?

I also found the defaults with Bind 9 and Cpanel do not add (allow-transfer) or (notify yes) which allows zone transfers from other servers like a secondary, and notify makes the DNS update the secondary DNS when a record changes on the master. \

I could not find any setting in Cpanel to make this happen, and I modified the named.conf directly, but all new accounts still aren't getting these options. Is there a template for these or something I can tweak?

Chuck