The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Stable needed!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rs-freddo, Dec 24, 2004.

1. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Seems squirrelmail has quite a serious vulnerability. Plus it would be nice to upgrade PHP to 4.3.10.

A lot of us prefer not to use EDGE so if cPanel could upgrade squirrelmail and start moving EDGE towards STABLE that would be nice.

2. SEAL31

SEAL31 Well-Known Member

I use Release, because it's newer then stable and more Stable than Edge. What is the problem with your squireel mail? I use PHP 4.3.10 and squirrel mail runs fine.

3. rs-freddo

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  4. SEAL31

SEAL31 Well-Known Member

I rebuilt Apache with 4.3.10.

5. Planet_Master

Planet_Master Well-Known Member

My questions is how many more months until cPanel makes PHP 5 stable and compatible? This is ridiculous that I have to deal with vulnerabilities in older PHP versions for ever it seems now.

6. Sinewy

Sinewy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    php 5 isn't quite stable yet as it is continuously still being fixed for bugs. php5 had the latest exploit as well as php 4, so there is no difference in exploitability in php5.

rebuilding php in WHM or easyapache does not upgrade the cPanel internal php. that must be updated by cpanel themselves.

i agree they should be bringing out another stable. although the cpanel php only runs fantastico and similar. its impossible to put a phpbb there.

7. Planet_Master

Planet_Master Well-Known Member

Well the problem I see is cPanel trying to do too much and too fast and not really stabilizing what's already there. Don't get me wrong I love cPanel but I think they are getting ahead of themselves and quite frankly it is becoming very buggy. SMTP doesn't work anymore, there are constant problems with many aspects of our servers due directly to cPanel, of course the PHP issue.

I just tried recompiling Apache with php 4.3.10 and all servers failed so I have to go back now. its just becoming a nightmare. Also for all those who say Linux is so secure, jeez bite your tongues! Linux servers have more security vulnerabilities then a damn windows box!
    I have every damn security plug-in and feature and these bastards still get in and cause havoc.

NOEXEC tmp, shut down shell, no root login...etc I got it all with firewalls and mod security and everything else, its a real joke.

8. fikse

fikse Well-Known Member

update to RELEASE, then update apache and choose the 4.3.10 check box for PHP....

works fine...

9. rs-freddo

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You have two Apache's running in cPanel. What you suggest only upgrades one - the other Apache is updated by cpanel ONLY!!!!!!