The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to CPanel, Need Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MojoMan, May 16, 2005.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Registered

I recently purchased a dedicated server to run an e-commerce site. The site is up and running very well. However, we have not found an easy way to run backups, manage new DNS, run cron jobs etc..

I was told CPanel could help make these jobs much simpler. With the help of WHM we could even setup development environments and the works.

My Problem is re-installing the server for CPanel is not really an option. It took some time to get php configured for the e-commerce shopping cart, checkout, SSL certificates ect... And I am not looking forward to doing it again.

My question, is it possible (has it been done before) to install CPanel overtop of an existing server setup with webmin tools. Webmin is ok, but it doesn't offer things like WHM, mysql, and email support is less than desired.

Anyone ever done this before?

Worst case scenario is the server becomes unstable and I have to reinstall the entire thing regardless.

What are my options for loading CPanel on our existing server?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

No, unfortunately it won't work. You have to start with a fresh server installation of the OS, or expect everything to be wiped out and overwritten with cPanel specific configuration. The best you can do is to backup your website and databases, then preferably wipe the server clean with an OS reload and install cPanel. Create yourself an account through WHM and then upload your web site and restore your databases as appropriate for the new environment. There's not really a way around this.