Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

New to mod_security, starter Qs

Discussion in 'Security' started by goldegonaz, Dec 14, 2013.

1. goldegonaz

goldegonaz Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello! I just enabled mod_security and deployed the default config. And now I'm... :confused:

I have a few questions that I couldn't find the answers too. Not sure if this is asking too much, but can't hurt to ask :)

Does mod security display all blocks/access denied/not acceptable actions in the logs? Or do some actions such as 'Not acceptable' occur without your knowledge or making a record?

Also how do I block certain strings in a URL. For example I would like to block INSERTIMPMACROHERE - something automatically adds this to the end of URLs, how would I block all request with this in the URL?

In my htaccess to block a get attack I have the rule below, but it doesn't work globally because I have many htaccess files. So I'd like to add it to mod_security.

RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} \?13(\d+){11}\ [NC]
    RewriteRule .* - [F]

How would I add that?

Lastly, how do I block all refers from a certain URL? So if someone/bot comes from baddomain.com, I can stop whatever they want to do/

That does sound like a lot to ask! So if anyone can just point me in the right direction maybe that would be a great help too!

Thanks!

2. cPanelPeter

cPanelPeter Technical Analyst III
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

cPanel/WHM can only support ModSecurity as far as installation is concerned. Since ModSecurity relies on various rules, and their options, we can not support the rules themselves. However, I recommend that you install the following 3rd party add on called ModSecurity Control ConfigServer ModSecurity Control

Also, I recommend the ModSec rules from Gotroot.com,
    and follow the instructions on cPanel installation for people not using ASL.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. georgeb

georgeb Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...