The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to Optimizing SQL

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by Tammy_Moore, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Tammy_Moore

Tammy_Moore Registered

Jul 12, 2016
    Blevins, AR
    cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I have WHM and cPanel on a dedicated 16mb RAM Centos server with GoDaddy. I have gotten comfortable with the WHM and CPanel GIU and only just have hit our first point where the server doesn't seem to have the "omph" to do a task asked of it with default setting. In this case, backup and restore of large math courses in Moodle. All others do fine. I am a high school teacher (no access to IT) using Moodle now going on 12 years, but definitely not a server guru. Literally, not counting supervised help using SSH to migrate data from one server to another, yesterday was my first solo SSH session. I successfully installed and ran SQLTuner. I am proud of that baby step. lol

After getting the results, I learned to change some of those settings in the PHPmyAdmin SQL command/query interface (I think that merely makes it temporary, but it is a start). Not all of the settings could be changed such as the recommendation for innodb_buffer_pool_size. That led me to understand there should be a my.cnf file I should edit. I do have experience editing the php ini file using a text editor through cPanels File explorer. The problem is it is not where it should be (show hidden files is on). I am stumped for what to do next. I am not sure if it is not there because it didn't need it before with the standard defaults, if the use of WHM moves it to a different location, or if it is a GoDaddy Managed Dedicated Server thing and that hides it.

Any help for this teacher new to tweaking SQL and SSH is much appreciated.

Sorry - I know it is probably obvious it is a type there on the RAM, Yes, that should be GB. blush
    #1 Tammy_Moore, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2016
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Your MySQL configuration file is stored at:

You can access this file via SSH using the instructions at:

SSH Access - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

The following document also references the /etc/my.cnf file. It's to address issues you are not facing, but the same instructions on editing /etc/my.cnf apply:

SQL Databases FAQ - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.
  3. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2002
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Take a look at the Percona Tuning Wizard . This will help you tremendously when it comes to getting an optimal MySQL configuration file going.
    This can generate mysql, percona, mariadb configuration files and actually does a pretty good job
    ronaldst and UHLHosting like this.