The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to PHP & MySQL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sodus058, Nov 12, 2005.

1. sodus058

sodus058 Registered

I am trying to understand how to use PHP with MySQL database so that I can create a database driven website. I have books on PHP & MySQL (one from sitepoint and one SAMS)... but I believe using the PHP & MySQL through cPanel is different than loading these applications on my PC at home & using a Personal Server (vs. ACE-NET)... is that correct?

Boy, I am REALLY new at this... any help at all, or direction, would be very much appreciated.

Marlene
    :confused:

#1 sodus058, Nov 12, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
  2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

The platform on which PHP and MySQL is running should not make too much of a different to the end user.

Regardless of the platform, as long as PHP has been compiled with the MySQL module, all should be OK. And I very much doubt that any cPanel host would not include MySQL support in PHP.

So, it should simply be a case of using the MySQL functions within PHP scripts and nothing more or less complicated than that - no special cPanel considerations.

As a handy reference, I've included a couple of useful URLs at the bottom. Pay close attention to the PEAR DB package, as that would probably be the way to go instead of just using MySQL functions within PHP scripts.

PHP MySQL reference: http://uk2.php.net/manual/en/ref.mysql.php
    Pear :: Package :: DB : http://pear.php.net/package/DB

3. sodus058

sodus058 Registered

Thank you!

webignition, thank you for your response and for the URL's. I will check out the PEAR DB right away.
    Marlene