The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to WHM VPS, and need help getting my site back online.

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by s37n, May 22, 2011.

1. s37n

s37n Active Member

I recently purchased a VPS, and moved my site from HostGator shared hosting. I seem to have done something wrong, and not sure what to do at this point.

I did the following steps.
    I installed the VPS OS
    I installed cPanel
    I installed WordPress, and set to auto update.
    I installed the Av software.
    I created the MySQL database in cPanel, and imported it.
    I uploaded the site to the root public_html folder (later found this was incorrect)
    I created the user/domain account in cPanel
    I then uploaded the files to this users account public_html folder

I am able to ping the IP assigned to the domain, but the site is not coming up.

I attempted to get help from my host, but they are saying the server is online, and this is outside their support scope. They told me to check my DNS settings, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be checking.

If someone could help me resolve this, I would be much appreciative.

I am a n00b with VPS, but not totally new to web development, so I'm not completely a n00b.

Thanks,
    WHM 11.28.87
    CENTOS 5.6 i686 virtuozzo on vps

2. s37n

s37n Active Member

forgot to add that I have also already transferred the NameServers at my registrar, which happened on Thursday, so propagation should be complete.

3. s37n

s37n Active Member

ok, so I also noticed that the IP assigned to the domain is not an IP that I was assigned on my server. I have 5 IPs total, and this one is not one of those 5. Is that right? I assume it should be an IP that belongs to my server. I will cahnge it, and see what happens. I assume I can just change it back if nothing happens.

4. s37n

s37n Active Member

ok, that didnt work, and now I can't switch it back.

Please help, as I think I'm making things worse.

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Did you skip the part about creating a package, and the creating an account and giving it that package, or just skipped posting that stuff here in your list?

Server setup should be done first and be sure its done right before bothering with a website on it, IMHO.

There's the account we're looking for. :)

Sounds like you've done a few things in the wrong order...

Once the server is setup properly and you've done at least the basic security setup you'll want at least 1 package created a Reseller account. Once you have that package created you'd create a new account to use the Reseller package. This might be your main account and could be the same domain as your hostname if you like. You'll want to give this Reseller permissions to handle accounts below him in WHM via the Reseller Center. Next login as that Reseller to WHM and create at least one new Package that this Reseller owns.

Once you have that, create your first account with it's own domain name and give it that package the Reseller created and owns.

Now you have a server at server.yourdomain.com, Nameservers at ns1.yourdomain.com, ns2.yourdomain.com, Reseller at yourdomain.com, and 1 account at hisdomain.com using those nameservers just mentioned.

Login as the user for hisdomain.com's cPanel and create your user and database (assuming here you already have a site and database you are importing) depending on the size of DB you might be able to import via phpMyAdmin in cPanel. Upload your wordpress files, edit the config.php for the site to read from your database and you're off to the races.

(over simplified here of course)

Friendly bunch. I'd find a new host if I was you.

What you're asking is a tall order for a forum post. The server is not setup, the accounts and packages are not setup and you need help setting up a wordpress blog, too.

A bit late I guess, but you've got off in the wrong direction and skipped a few steps that make walking things back and sorting out a bit more work to explain in a single forum post.

6. s37n

s37n Active Member

ok, I'm reinstalling the VPS, and will follow the steps you gave provided when complete. I think I understand them pretty good.

7. s37n

s37n Active Member

ok, I have reinstalled the vps & cPanel, done the security changes, created the reseller package, and reseller account with reseller package.

Reseller: vps.RandomName.net (I assume this is a "fake" domain address for my internal naming, does this need to be a real domain that I own?)
    NameServers: I put the servers given to me from host (Edit: I left default, because it already had host nameservers)

I created a default package from Reseller account

Every time I create a user from the reseller account, I can never log back into cPanel with that new user.

Also; the IP that it's assigning to the accounts isn't one of the 5 IPs that I have listed on my hosting account, which I found strange.

#7 s37n, May 22, 2011
    Last edited: May 22, 2011
  8. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    The first part of the hostname can be anything, but the domain itself must be valid. For example: s37n.yourdomain.com would work. But the yourdomain.com must be a real domain name. You can use the nameservers your host provides, but you'll need to check with them on the correct IPs to be used for the nameservers.

Try making sure you're logged out of all other accounts and reopened your browser and then login to cPanel using the username and password for that cPanel account.

9. s37n

s37n Active Member

ok, so I changed the hostname to a domain i own with prefix vps.

do i need to specify IPs for the namesevers, or can I just leave it default?

am i supposed to be accessing the same cPanel IP as the main server for the user the reseller created?

also, it is assigning an IP that I isn't 1 of the 5 given to me from my host. Is this normal?

10. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    If your host setup your nameserver IPs for you, you'll need to ask them about the nameserver IPs. Or setup your own using your IPs.

You should be able to access WHM from https://vps.yourdomain.com:2087 or https://your.ip.addy:2087

Access cPanel from https://vps.yourdomain.com:2083 or https://your.ip.addy:2083

In WHM > Server Configuration > Basic cPanel and WHM Setup > Basic Config tab you set the IP address to be used for shared hosting accounts. This area is just above where you set the nameservers and IPs to be used as well.

11. s37n

s37n Active Member

ok, this is crazy.

I've done all these steps, and now I get this error.
    Account Creation Status: failed
    Sorry, resellers are not permitted to create subdomains of the server's main domain

I'm not even trying to be a reseller, I just want to run some sites. How many domains do I need to own to run 1 site on this thing?

12. s37n

s37n Active Member

well, I figured out why it wouldn't let a reseller create a subdomain, but I'm still unable to login as the Site I made from the Reseller account.

So I've done this so far...
    Reinstalled OS/cPanel
    Set Security
    Made Reseller package
    Create Reseller account
    Enabled Reseller account full privileges
    Logged in as reseller
    Created Site Package with Reseller account
    Created Site Account with Reseller account & package
    I try to login to the site account, no error, but it doesn't log me in.

Is the Site Account supposed to use the main cPanel IP that I've been using to setup the server, or the IP I dedicated in the Basic cPanel and WHM Setup section?

I've tried both, and neither seem to work. I've tried the vps.mydomain.net, and it doesn't like that either.

I'm at a loss here, and frustration is unbearable.

13. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You made a reseller and then that reseller made a reseller? Not sure why, or if it even matters.

Setting up your first server without reading much of the docs can be frustrating to be sure.

Whatever IP you set to be shared and is being used by the Reseller setting up the accounts is the IP accounts created should use, yes. That is, unless the Reseller gives the account he is creating, a dedicated IP.

14. s37n

s37n Active Member

I read the documentation you linked in your posts, am I missing something? I went through everything step by step.

i did not create 2 resellers.
    -I created 1 reseller account with root user account, and I used the reseller package I made with the root user account.
    -I then logged in as Reseller account, made Site Package, and then made Site account with Site package I made with the Reseller account.

I then logged out, and tried to login as Site account I just made with reseller account.

So there is 3 levels of accounts in my setup
    1. root
    2. Reseller (created by root)
    3. Site (created by Reseller)

I've tried every way you listed to get the cpanel for the IP assigned to the reseller and site accounts. Is there any real support for this, like a call center? This is getting ridiculous.

15. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Yes of course: Where should I go for support? - cPanel Inc.

I take it you could not login to the cPanel account?

16. s37n

s37n Active Member

ok, I'm so close I can almost taste it. :P

I think I almost got it. I found out that cpanel was assigning an IP that wasn't registered to my server. I changed the default to one of my assigned IPs, and I can now get into the cPanel for the Site level user.

Although; I can only reach cPanel through IP, and not the domain.

i found this site (http://intodns.com/), and did a domain scan for hackology.net (the site I'm trying to get online), and it appears the nameservers aren't setup right. I simply pinged the nameservers to get the IPs, so not sure what other IPs I should use.

Someone told me that my host must add a DNS entry in the nameservers for my domain/IP. This didn't sound accurate, but I sent an email to them to see what they say.

any ideas?

#16 s37n, May 22, 2011
    Last edited: May 22, 2011
  17. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

With the exception of cases where a remote server is used for DNS, your name server IP addresses will be IP addresses that are added to your server. It looks like the name servers used for your domain name are not valid. You will need to ensure the name servers assigned to the domain name at it's registrar are the ones setup on your server or provided to you by your web hosting provider.

Thank you.

18. s37n

s37n Active Member

i have gone to namecheap and verified that I entered the right nameservers.

The scan I ran at intoDNS: checks DNS and mail servers health says I need to have my host add dns records to the nameservers for my domain and IP.

Is this accurate?

19. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

If you have created an account for the domain name on your VPS via Web Host Manager, the DNS Zone should exist. To confirm, have you created an account for this domain name? Also, are the following IP addresses added to your VPS (they are the name server IP addresses used for this domain name):

Feel free to open a support ticket with us if you would like us to determine the exact cause:

Submit A Ticket

Please remember to provide the ticket ID here after opening the ticket.

Thank you.

20. s37n

s37n Active Member

Santrex finally responded with a message and with this forum, I think I know what I did wrong.

When I purchased, host gave me primary/secondary DNS IP for server (1 IP for both). The server itself came with 5 IPs. The ns1.santrex & ns1.santrex nameservers were added to WHM/cPanel automatically for the VPS itself.

From what I understand, it looks like I should have assign 2 of my 5 IPs as custom nameservers, and then added them to my domain registrar.

i think this explains why I can hit cPanel by IP, but not by domain name.

I'm going to setup the custom nameservers, and apply to registrar now, and hopefully I'm understanding this correctly.

I really appreciate everyone's help. This is my first VPS, and have only ever used Hostgator shared hosting for my sites. This has been a HUGE learning experience, even if it has driven me crazy for the past week.

Thanks again,