The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New User

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by adamwebb, May 12, 2004.

1. adamwebb

adamwebb Active Member

Hi
    I have just got a new dedicated server that came with WHM installed, this is the 1st itme I've used a dedicated server and have no idea what I'm doing.

Are there any tutorials that show how to setup a server for the first time?

My IP address is 205.209.134.70, if entered into a browser says there is no website configuered at this address.

I do have my own domain, which is still linked to my old hosting company, but I dont even know where to start when it comes to getting that pointed to the server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

Adam,

In order to get started, you need to setup your server to work with cPanel/whm.

To start your setup, access your WHM by either of the following:

http://your.newip.add.ress:2086

OR

https://your.new.ip.address:2087

The secure/later method is more desirable, but your self-signed cert. may not work until you tweak it and you may initially only be allowed unsecure access.

Once you have gained access to your WHM, simply follow the instructions tha cPanel provides in their documentation.

If you run into any "snags," just post with some specifics:)

3. adamwebb

adamwebb Active Member

Is it ossible to re run setup afterwards, I think I may have set some stuff up wrong.

4. bamasbest

Just about everything that you may have keyed in during your initial setup can be modified. Either via WHM or by manually editing the appropriate files:)

5. adamwebb

adamwebb Active Member

I know this is a little off topic, but how do i get my domain to point to the server? I think this could answer alot of my questions.

Basically I have my domain pointed at ns.rcthost.com, now from what I gather, with mydomain.com I have to point the domain to a nameserver, do I have to register the name server first, through mydomain.com? then point beanwebb.com to ns.beanwebb.com?

6. bamasbest

If you setup your box to run its own nameservers and then setup domains to use3 those nameservers, you would then have to have to modify your info with yopur registrar to reflect the new nameservers.

As well, ensure that you have created host records with your registrar for your new nameservers.

7. adamwebb

adamwebb Active Member

I dont want to use my server as a webhost, so do I still need to setup a nameserver just to use my domain for my website?

8. bamasbest

You can certainly use another source for dns.

You would create your account via WHM and then modify your account with your DNS provider to ensure that they point appropriate A/MX/CNAME records to your new IP address:)

9. adamwebb

adamwebb Active Member

Ok thanks,

I have setup an account and it works fine. I can login to cpanel and use the filemanager. But I have a problem with MYsql now, when I login to Cpanel, goto mysql manager and click on PHPMyAdmin I get this error:

Unable to open engine binary (php) at cpsrvd.pl line 1036
    main::dodoc_cpaneld() called at cpsrvd.pl line 380
    main::dodoc() called at cpsrvd.pl line 311

If I try and access phpMyAdmin from WHM I get a white page, but WHM says that mysql is up and fine. Any help?

10. adamwebb

adamwebb Active Member

I'm trying to rebuild apache with a newer version of PHP, maybe it'll help because its seems to be a problem with PHP talking to mysql rather than the server because cpanel can access and create databases, but things like PHPNuke dont work, and phpMYAdmin.

11. adamwebb

adamwebb Active Member

It didnt help, please can someone help me with this!, thats the 2 things I use the most, PHP and Mysql.