The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New user

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anasta, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Anasta

Anasta Registered

Hi i am just about to sign-up for a reseller account and run that for a while until i learn more b4 the move to a dedicated server (my main goal).

Can anyone tell me what the total list of software required once i move to ded. server--cpanel/billing/auto sign/dns/reseller so i can begin learning and be up to speed when the time comes.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. Etheral

Etheral Well-Known Member

there is ALOT of things you could choose/do. But ill give the basics for basic web-hosting, and in the order you need them. Ill have a link to a site to get it.

1) Dedicated Server (managed.com)

2) cPanel (softwareworks.com)

3) Billing System (modernbill.com)

those are the 3 core things you need... but there are many more sub categories for everything, such as security and software for your server, and tweaks for everything and such. But first of all you need to know how to work your Linux enviornment, to be able to actually RUN your server... I'd be willing to help you through this once you decide to get your server (no charge of course :-p) Otherwize, good luck! anymore questions post em here or IM or somthing lol.

3. Anasta

Anasta Registered

Thanks

Thanks very much for the information and the offer to help, i have been using apache for sometime and i am familiar with PHP scripting and mysql to a degree so i figure i am halfway there.

4. Etheral

well actually running the web-server would take more knowlage into compiling apache with php and such. not all really programming based, just command line based.

5. Anasta

Anasta Registered

Is there a lite or old version of cpanel that you know of that can be tested locally on my machine, if i setup linux at home using virtual pc i can then install cpanel and other required software to test and learn.

6. Etheral

you cant really do that scince cPanel his a lisencing system. You could get a demo lisence from cpanel to test, or get a lisence from softwarework.com to test. When you get a lisence, you should get an installation of cpanel, if you dont i believe the install files are located at: layer1.cpanel.net