The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New user_How to set up login system to a website?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tama88, Dec 8, 2011.

1. tama88

tama88 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I have tried to create a sub domain for my company's website and been able to run it on a web browser. However, it goes directly to the website without asking to give the username and pw to log in. How can I set up a log in system for the website? Thank you.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Do you mean you want this subdomain to have its own cPanel account, or you want that URL to the subdomain be password protected?

3. tama88

tama88 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I want that URL to the subdomain be password protected (sorry for word-confusing). Just like when we go to a website, a pop-up box will show and ask to give username and pw. Thanks.

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Once you have created the subdomain, you'll next want to visit the Password Protect Directories icon in your cPanel. From there you'll find instructions on password protecting directories. Locate your sub domain directory and click its name, not the folder icon beside it. On next page down bottom type in a username (not your cPanel user name) and a password, click Add/Modify user button. Now go back one more time to that same page and at top, find the "Password Protect this directory" checkbox and tick it. Type in a "Name the protected directory" and save.

That sub.domain should now be locked down as you wish.

5. tama88

tama88 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Sorry it took me a long time to get back here. Thanks for the instruction. Unfortunately, the following message showed up:
    "Due to Frontpage Extension currently being installed and enabled, password protected directories will not work. If you wish to use this feature instead of Frontpage, please disable the Frontpage extension.
    You can use Frontpage directly to create password protected directories just like you normally can here. Alternatively, you can disable Frontpage extensions and still use Frontpage to publish the site design via Webdav or FPT."
    Please advise. Thanks a lot!

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

That message is accurate. The "Password Protect" option is not available when FrontPage Extensions are enabled. You will need to uninstall FrontPage extensions, or use Frontpage directly to password protect a directory.

Thank you.