Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

new vserver - primary domain question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by clikit, Nov 14, 2007.

1. clikit

clikit Registered

Hi all,

I've been using client cpanel and reseller whm for many years, but finally took the plunge into renting a virtual server with full cpanel root access.

In my haste I setup the server using my primary domain as follows:

my-domain-name.com (not the real name obviously)

I then realised I needed to use a servername instead of the full domain, so in the WHM setup, changed the hostname and added DNS entries to be:

server.my-domain-name.com

Before I start breaking things, I wanted to know if I've done the right thing... or should I have used the free subdomain service from my host company ie:

my-domain-name.hostcompany.com

And then create my primary domain name as a reseller in WHM???

Or have I done the right thing and I can now just create my primary domain as a reseller or client or something now? I already have DNS hosted with the company, so will that create 2 zones?

I won't be using private nameservers if that makes things easier.

A little confused... I want to use my primary domain (it is the company after all) with full features.

Look forward to your responses.
    Kym

2. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

Sounds like things are fine. Your host name should just be your main domain with a subdomain entry for your record.

host.domain.com would be a proper host name example. Either way, as long as it fully resolves back to your server directly, it will be fine.

3. clikit

clikit Registered

Cool, thanks for your prompt reply.

I'm assuming I just create a client in account management using my primary domain and go from there! :)

4. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

Sure, whichever domain name represents the server would be a good choice. Don't forget to setup reverse dns ( usually in your DC account portal ) for your server.