The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New WHM deployment--separating mail and web functions

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by jasonb3t, Oct 3, 2012.

1. jasonb3t

jasonb3t Member

I have an existing WHM deployment. I'm looking to build a new one soon (at a new colo) onto which I'll eventually migrate all of my accounts and host plenty of new ones. I was hoping to perform some master planning on the new deployment where I can separate out the email and web functions of domains onto different servers. Is this a possibility? Can email and web for a single domain live on separate cPanel servers?

2. pwhjenny

pwhjenny Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can use allow_url_fopen or curl function but to keep allow_url_fopen enabled on the server is not always recommend as it leads to many security exploits. You may surely use curl. You can check below given tutorials for both functions.

PHP: Using remote files - Manual

PHP: cURL - Manual

3. jasonb3t

jasonb3t Member

This reply was evidently meant for another thread.

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  5. jasonb3t

jasonb3t Member

It sounds like the general solution is to just build separate WHM environments for web and email.. And then to tie everything together in DNS. I was hoping that I could still have the domains in one interface, but it seems that they just have to be duplicated on the email and web sides.

6. texo

texo Well-Known Member

@jasonb3t that's exactly what we do: two servers, each with cpanel/WHM, one hosting email and the other websites, and all accounts duplicated on both servers. The webserver is linked to our DNS Only cluster, but the mailserver is not, so that all DNS changes are only made on the webserver.

The process we follow when accepting a new order:

1. create hosting accounts for the domain on the mailserver and webserver
    2. Edit the DNS for the domain so that the MX record points to the mailserver, and create a cname (we use 'email') pointing to the mailserver's hostname so that clients can login to their cpanel and webmail on the mailserver by prepending 'email' to their usual (webserver) cpanel address.

for example: email.domain.com/cpanel and email.domain.com/webmail

This system works well for us.

7. jasonb3t

jasonb3t Member

Thank for so much for the clarification.

My next trick will be to do something similar with Windows servers. I'm thinking Enkompass with SmarterMail would be a similar setup with separate Enkompass servers--one for web and one for email, eh?