The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New WHM server, DNS not working

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by PascalH, Dec 17, 2011.

1. PascalH

PascalH Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello,
    I just transferred from an older server to a brand new server where I installed cPanel and WHM into a VPS. I did a transfer using SSH from the old server to the new one which setup my old clients and packages. I tested using the temp url /~username and the sites are fully operational as expected.

This is the first time i ever did the transfer from one server to another so naturally i thought that once things work on the new server, I would simply change the ip addresses in my NS1 and NS2 so that it updates across domains, is that right? Am i also right in thinking that if the old IP is still operational then during the propagation process the domain will point to either the new IP or the old IP?

Well my problem right now is all the sites I host on it are down. I run network tools and they time out, i run host-tracker and its not found in any countries, i ping them it returns "unknown host". Very occasionally it will fallback to the old server.

The VPS has networking abilities and can resolve domain names fine using bind-utls when run through SSH. What have I done wrong here? I should also mention this is my first time ever setting up a server with cPanel and CentOS 5.7.

Thanks in advance, Ive been at this for 24 hours or more and would greatly appreciate some tips or help from anyone.

PascalH

2. hoststop

hoststop Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Check if firewall is blocking any requests. Try restarting bind on your server. If possible paste the domain name you are having issues with. Will check the output and let you know.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Of note, if you are using the default RedHat firewall, you might not have port 53 opened up for udp traffic. Check with the following for the port 53 rules:

Code:
    /sbin/iptables -n -L | grep 53
    We open up the necessary ports with our /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/configure_rh_firewall_for_cpanel script but we do not open up port 53 for udp traffic. An internal case exists (51419) about this issue that is resolved in 11.31.0.16 and higher.

If port 53 udp isn't opened up on your firewall due to using the RedHat firewall rules, you could use the following rule to fix it:

Code:
    /sbin/iptables -I RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p udp -m state --state NEW -m udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
    Then save the new ruleset:

Code:
    service iptables save