The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newb question - how too ssh?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rayli1107, Jan 1, 2005.

1. rayli1107

rayli1107 Registered

how do I ssh into my server? if the server is www.XXXXX.com, is that what I use for the host for ssh to connect to? and wat's the port #?

thx

2. Blue|Fusion

Blue|Fusion Well-Known Member

Default port: 22

Use any IP or domain on the server.

3. rayli1107

rayli1107 Registered

domain is just "www.XXXXX.com"?

4. Blue|Fusion

Blue|Fusion Well-Known Member

yes, that will work as long as it is using the same IP as the server.

To be safe, I use an IP on the server, and bind SSH to only 1 of the IPs provisioned on the server. That way if the domain somehow gets changed, I'm not SSHing another box.

5. rayli1107

rayli1107 Registered

sorry... but i'm not sure exactly how to find the IP for the domain? and using ssh to connect to the domain on port 22 didn't work..

thx...

6. brentp

brentp Well-Known Member

if youve got a dedicated box, get a refund. You really need to learn the basics before you buy a dedicated box.

Regards,
    Brent

7. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

8. fmughal

fmughal Member

Fahad Mughal

you have to download a software called "putty " iti is available for both windows as well as linux enviorment, from wnviorment i mean your machine from which you want to ssh to your remote server. you can serach google by simply typing putty.

Download it and then open it type your domain like www.xxxxx.com(this will only work if the domain is using the main server's ip) or instead of that you can type you ip and the port number. The default port number for ssh is 22 but if it is not working than you may ask your server provider for the changed port number and when you are in the screen simply type login
    e.g root or any other account that is permitted to login as ssh and with after that type your password and you are done :)

9. rayli1107

rayli1107 Registered

i am using putty...

i'm using cpanel's online manager thing... so i'm not sure how to check what is the ip for the domain, what is the ssh port... or even if ssh is allowed... thx...

10. JP-HOST

JP-HOST Well-Known Member

In WHM look under IP Functions >> ShowIP Address Usage - Here you will be able to see the IP Address assigned to your site.

Or you can go to www.dnsreport.com and lookup your domain. Your IP will be listed as INFO WWW Record www.XXXXXX.com A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx <= is your IP.

To see if you have Shell Access Enabled. Look under Account Functions >> Manage Shell Access. There you will see which accounts have shell access or not.

If you don't see these options in your WHM then you are not root on the server. Look in your Cpanel page for your site (www.XXXXXX.com/cpanel) if you see an icon for SSH/Shell Access then you should be able to login to shell. If you can't get it to work then you should contact your space or server provider for assistance...