The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newb question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ne0shell, Oct 12, 2003.

1. ne0shell

ne0shell Well-Known Member

This is probably a really stupid question but - say my hostname is :
    mybox.neoworld.com

How do I get a useable account for the domain www.neoworld.com???

It wont let me add it as an account and so on - my nameservers are ns1.neoworld.com and ns2.blah.blah

I can add other domains on a new IP but i cant seem to do anything wiht my primary and i cant login to its CP login.

thanks,
    Neoshell

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Your hostname will have already been allocated with an IP address. If not, use the first usable IP for it and for ns1.domain.com

First account you should setup is the Domain name -- the one used within the hostname.

Second usable IP address should be used as a Dedicated IP for your Domain name and for ns2.domain.com. You may have to manually edit the /etc/nameserverips file to setup the Nameservers to the specific IP addresses.

3. ne0shell

ok just to be clear - it doesnt matter if my hostname is whatever.mydomain.com and that my domain will be used for the account made on the same ip as ns2 ? Just trying to make sure I understand. I ws actually given an allocation of 6IPs and my hostname is self determined - not preassigned.

4. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That is correct - a Nameserver IP can double as a Shared or Dedicated IP as well.

Your Hostname IP address is the one registered for your WHM license. http://layer1.cpanel.net/verify/ will let you know. Depending upon who setup your Server, your first (or lowest) IP number is usually already assigned/setup for the hostname and not actually available. The next lowest IP is the one to use for NS2 and as a Dedicated for your Domain name, as explained above.

5. ne0shell

Thanks for the info and confirmation. I verified the license but it doesnt specify a hostname -

using package MYVIRTUALNET-INTERNAL is licensed though: MyvirtualNet

Im guessing its the IP that matters and I can put whatever hst name i want as long as its not used as an account?