The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie cPanel Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff75, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

I just had a server set up that is running FreeBSD 4.7 with WHM/cPanel and have a few newbie questions.

Can I disable certain features on different packages so they don't appear in the control panel? For example, say the Basic plan doesn't include osCommerce, phpMyChat, MySQL, etc. Can I keep these features/pages from showing up in the control panel? If not, do I need to create a seperate them for each package so I can keep them from showin up?

How can I make it so my server will automatically create MySQL databases for each account so they are in the following format:

Database: dbLOGINNAMEa, dbLOGINNAMEb, etc.

So if I create a package and allow client "loginid" to have 5 databases their databases would be, dbloginida, dbloginidb, dbloginidc, dbloginidd, dbloginide.

How can I change the admin email on all accounts from webmaster@domain.com to admin@domain.com?

What is the point of the public_ftp directory? If it really doesn't have a use, can I keep it from showing up in every account?

I would like to give my clients access to SSH and was wondering if there are any problems with giving clients access to this on a box running WHM/cPanel?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

#1 Jeff75, Jul 19, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2003
  2. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

Anybody?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

3. perlchild

perlchild Well-Known Member

1) For your first question, it's my understanding that it's part of the new feature manager in cpanel 7, you need to use a skin which supports this new feature manager and version 7 of cpanel itself

2) by default cpanel has its own format for creating databases and logins, but that's on-demand
    accountname_username
    accountname_databasename
    the security architecture is built around this convention, it might be harder to convert to your way than you think, as for creating them automatically, the database itself is just a directory, why waste space, let your users choose their own usernames(not to mention limiting each user to one database might be problematic on some cases) and having a triplet
    accountname_databasename_username might be unreasonably long in many cases. If you really want something like this, you might need to script it yourself, or hire a coder.

3) admin email? webmaster is a convention covered by a best practice document from the ietf, you might want to alias it to admin instead

4) public_ftp is used by anonymous ftp, you might want to remove it from your "skeleton" directories (/etc/skel and /root/cpanel3-skel) so it doesn't appear anymore

5) ssh itself is not a problem per se, but letting users run arbitrary commands without in-depth knowledge of those commands and their security issues is not recommended. Subscribe to security focus and other mailing lists, ruminate for 6 months, then consider you might know enough to know if it's safe... Only you may know what your clients might do

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: