The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie: index.html has 404 error

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jamestl, Apr 15, 2008.

1. jamestl

jamestl Registered

I have recently purchased a domain name and hosting package from NameCheap.com.

I have tried to upload HTML files and image fies using the cPanel File Manager - which works fine. However, whenever I try to view the files that I've uploaded, it will not display them.

For example, the image file just appears a red cross...

The index.html or index.htm just appears as html code when I try to view it via cPanel, and as a 'page cannot be displayed: error 404' when I view it at mydomain.com/index.html.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
    James

2. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

If you are using a file viewer in cpanel then it would probably appear as text, not rendered html like a browser does. If you put the files in a folder other than the "public_html" or "www" and just tried to view it as above you would have the same 404 results.

Which folder did you put the html in ?. If you view the source of the html do the image names get prefixed with the correct path, if any.

If you cannot figure out the above, please contact 'namecheap' as they are your hosting company and could help you with this. This website is specifically for Cpanel issues, not really hosting customer website help like uploading and such.