The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie needs help setting up webserver

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by simmo, Mar 25, 2004.

1. simmo

simmo Member

I'm new to all this so please be kind to me :)

I've rented a server from Managed.com to host some of my personal domains. They provided me with the following info:

- Server IP address
    - A range of 10 IPs (starting from the server IP)
    - Root password
    - URL to access cPanel (using server IP on port 2087)

I've also registered both mydomain.com and mydomain.net through GoDaddy. At the moment the domains are parked there (or at least will be once they're propagated and I can see them from here!).

When I first went into WHM I was prompted for nameserver IPs. I set these to the IP addresses of Managed.com's nameservers. I have also changed the hostname to server1.mydomain.com (although I may think of a better hostname soon!)

What I would like to do is host mydomain.com on my server using ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com as nameservers. The other domain, mydomain.net, should work as an alias to mydomain.com. Once all that's up and running I will want to move my domains to my server by changing their nameservers to ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com.

I'm fine with the GoDaddy side of things but I'm a little confused on what I need to do to configure my server to work in this way. Any pointers or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. DarkElf

DarkElf Member

You need to register the nameservers with your registrar first-using your first 2 ips