The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie question about SpamAssassin set up

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by earmsby, Mar 13, 2013.

1. earmsby

earmsby Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi,

I've worked a fair amount with cPanel and many of the email features in it but I'm a bit new to working with SpamAssassin. I've spent a good bit of the day trying to get in place what I thought would be a pretty straightforward set up. Here's what I'm hoping to have the spam filter do:

- add the text "[SPAM]" to the subject of any email that scores over 5 but deliver to the user's inbox (they will set up their own filter in their email client to move it to a spam filter.

If that's not possible or too hard to do, then my second choice would be to have SA deliver messages that score 5 and above to a spam folder in the user's account (so that they could go through webmail or IMAP and check for any false positives)

Neither of these seemed unusual so I really thought it would be straightforward. here's what I did:

1. in cPanel, went to Email>SpamAssassin
    2. enabled SpamAssassin
    3. disabled auto delete
    4. enabled spam box

When I did that, it seemed that email over 5 was not being delivered to the users' inboxes but it wasn't going into their junk folder either (using RoundCube to monitor activity). I also couldn't find any higher level folder called "spam." Looking in WHM>Email>Mail Delivery Reports and then at the delivery event details I could see some details that said:

Router: virtual_user_spam
    Transport: virtual_userdelivery_spam

But I couldn't tell where exactly that was going and the tech person for my hosting company wasn't being very helpful because I don't have a full management service with them.

Once I disabled spam box, the details from the delivery report reverted to:
    Router: virtual_user
    Transport: virtual_userdelivery

And of course the high scoring spam is once again delivered to the user's inbox without any designation that's spam.

What am I doing wrong? Hope someone can point me in the right direction. I'm usually pretty good at figuring out stuff myself but I'm been banging my head against this for hours.

Thanks!