The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Question - Addon domains

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BraveX, Apr 29, 2005.

1. BraveX

BraveX Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In the Tweak Settings area... there are options:

--Allow Creation of Parked/Addon Domains that resolve to other servers (ie domain transfers) [This can be a major security problem. If you must have it enabled, be sure to not allow users to park common internet domains.]

--Allow users to Park/Addon Domains on top of domains owned by other users. (probably a bad idea)

Could someone explain what the above means and why it would be a bad idea to enable?

I have some customers who have multiple domains and I'd like to be able to add them to their accounts (without a reseller account). This doesnt seem to be possible unless I enable the above or they change dns servers (the later would result in downtime).

2. KMK Enterprises

KMK Enterprises Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Changing DNS servers, doesn't need to result in any downtime if it's done properly. I've moved hundreds of accounts and the users never even realized their domains had been moved. If you have the accounts completely setup and copied over prior to initiating changes to records with the domain registrar, things will go very smoothly.

Why wouldn't you want to allow anyone to park a domain on top of another person's domain? Ever heard of domain hijacking??