The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie question, maybe?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vanderburg, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Vanderburg

Vanderburg Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am a web developer whose site has outgrown shared hosting and I've moved to a VDS to manage myself with cPanel. The installation of cPanel/WHM was much less painful than I feared and went relatively smoothly. I registered a domain just to use for the hostname and we'll call it example.com.

So I set the hostname as host.example.com and finished setting up cPanel, DNS is all set on GoDaddy's (ns1.example.com, ns2.example.com) end, etc. host.example.com works wonderfully. I was hoping to still be able to use example.com/www.example.com so I created an account with just that domain and I can't get it to resolve. I created a second account for secondexample.com and it works just fine.

Is there some possible conflict with me using host.example.com as my hostname that would prevent me from creating the account example.com?

This was a hard question to put into a search, but I did attempt, so I'm sorry if it's been asked already somewhere simple to fine.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter: