The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie questions - I'm drowning in despair.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scottscomp, Apr 24, 2003.

1. scottscomp

scottscomp Member

After two years of experience as a reseller using Plesk (needing no assistance or guidance using it), I decided to dive into the world of dedicated servers.

I decided on a data center - Neutelligent. They offer a managed service, where they basically take care of most of your needs if you need anything. However, the support for non-emergencies is slow (24-48 hours).

They only support cPanel and hsphere. I took the cPanel demo, ordered myself a cheap cPanel resellers account off of eBay, and everything seemed like it would work. Way too many options and features - it seems like many options could be combined into one option easily. (for example, "List Accounts" and "Modify Accounts". Why not just have a link to modify an account in the "List Accounts" area? And why not list the bandwidth usage/limit in that same area? Boom, just eliminated 2 links on the left hand side.)

After several hours trying to figure out my new dedicated server, I am falling apart. I can't even FTP into the thing. =(

So far I have set up two accounts. From the main WHM I set up one reseller account with 5000mb and 20gb and a limit of 50 accounts. Then I logged into that reseller account and created a regular account.

Server IP: 64.157.176.59
    Main WHM User: root
    Reseller user: godseesy (also IP: 64.159.76.201)
    Account user: mlmhost

I can FTP to the reseller account using the main server IP address and the reseller's username and password.

But I CANNOT FTP to the regular account (mlmhost). I've tried both the main server IP and the reseller's IP, and I can't login to it.

What am I doing wrong? =(

But my MAIN question - where can I go to get some good, in-depth documentation on how to use WHM and cPanel? This is FAR more complicated than Plesk and much more complicated than I could have dreamed......

2. sqsisa

sqsisa Well-Known Member

There is none. And don't expect any help here. Most of my questions have gone unanswered.

3. SouthernWeb

SouthernWeb Member

You do realize that if you are trying to ftp to the server using the root account, you have to use sftp as opposed to ftp?

Documentation is sparse, but you can find out most of what you need from a combination of the documentation that is available and these forums.

As for getting questions answered, it depends on how they are asked I guess, I have never had a problem. ;)

4. Silverado

Silverado Well-Known Member

5. dianaward

dianaward Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I had the opposite experience.

I have used Cpanel/WHM for years, and cursed them often. So when I bought a new server for a client, I took the leap and got one with Plesk instead. Bad move! I had nothing but trouble, to the point that my client cancelled the server and went back to WHM. I'll never curse Cpanel again no matter how irritating it gets. At least my clients can figure some things out on their own and not write me 30 support tickets per day!

6. scottscomp

scottscomp Member

Amazing our different experiences. :) I got rid of the cPanel server and got a new server from Rackshack with Plesk on it. This thing is amazing - not a single glitch so far and I'm thrilled!

-Scott

7. dianaward

dianaward Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Well, if I ever try Plesk again, I'll know who to call for help.

I think Cpanel is more complicated than it needs to be for the host, but my clients love it, so I love it too.