The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie questions

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by cetterra, Jan 5, 2009.

1. cetterra

cetterra Member

Hi there...

I am completely new to CPanel and I have some newbie questions.

Today I have a decentralized provider. I have 3 mail services, one for POP3/IMAP(dovecot) and Auth SMTP (postfix), other two servers for MX (postfix, anti-spam, anti-virus and personal scripts). I have 2 web servers, one windows and other linux) I have a dedicated mysql server for my clients, two dns servers and a NAS storage.

Everything here is integrated into mysql database. I manage everything including and updating database rows. But we don't have a Control Center like CPanel, thats why we are studying CPanel.

After some reading about, I noticed that CPanel manage everything into a single server. It is possible to separe the services into different servers? I saw something about clustering in the docs. How this works?

Is it possible to CPanel to integrate with my running services or I have to start everything from zero?

That DVD Quickinstall already installs CPanel or just the minimum OS for installing the product?

Thanks for your time!

#1 cetterra, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  2. Voltar

Voltar Well-Known Member

cPanel supports DNS clustering and remote MySQL. The quick install DVD from cPanel installs the minimum needed OS, and after reboot installs cPanel (if I recall correctly).

Separate mail/webservers aren't supported as of yet. There are some posts around the forum about clustering, personally I haven't tried anything other than DNS clustering and remote MySQL once (Don't use it exclusively).

3. cetterra

cetterra Member

Thanks for the answering.

So, how can I work with a scalable infrastructure?
    With this limitations I thought in adopt "Different users on different servers".

Are there any projects on cpanel product to turn it more scalable, by the official developers?

How DNS Clustering works? I need to install CPanel in two servers or just the bind service?

Thanks

4. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

The DNS cluster will allow all servers to indeed share the common dns zones databases
    thus allowing for each to work together.

Here are the steps to configure DNS clustering:

1 To access the Cluster / Remote Access Menu, click on Cluster / Remote Access, on the main screen of your WebHost Manager interface.

2 Click on Configure Cluster

3 To enable DNS clustering, click the tick box next to Enable Dns Clustering, and then click on Change.

4 Then type the IP address of a server you wish to add to the cluster in the blank field next to Server IP Address.

5 Click on Configure.

6 Repeat steps 4 and 5 as necessary.

I think you do not need to install Cpanel on second server. Just install bind on second server.