Newbie: Quick start to adding passwords to my site

saunacarrerra

Registered
May 11, 2007
Sorry for this very basic question, but I just need to know where to start. The threads I searched assume too much prior knowledge. I simply want to restrict certain pages of my very simple, non-e-commerce site, to those people who have been provided a password. What tool(s) should I consider first? I am NOT html or Unix savvy. I made my site with FrontPage 2003. :eek:

TIA

saunacarrerra

Registered
May 11, 2007
Infopro,

Thanks for replying. Yes, I had seen that, but it appears to protect a whole domain, while I want to protect only a group of pages. Also, I was hoping to have users enter their ID and password via one of my own pages, rather than via a pop-up dialog box which Password Protect Directories seems to do. I was hoping for a way for users to change their passwords,etc. I think to do what I want , I need to integrate a data base, about which I know nothing, so maybe the Password Protect Directories is the only way. In that case, how would I protect part of my web site but not the rests? Subdomain?

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
It can be set to protect directories. Any (or all) directory inside public_html. If you read the message there it tells you what to click to do what.

Please select the folder you wish to protect by clicking on its name.
Open a folder by clicking on its icon.

saunacarrerra

Registered
May 11, 2007
Yes, I saw that, but it won't let me get down deeper into my web site directory to pick out separate pages. No need to reply, let me play with it for a while.

Thanks