Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Newbie: Quick start to adding passwords to my site

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by saunacarrerra, May 11, 2007.

1. saunacarrerra

saunacarrerra Registered

Sorry for this very basic question, but I just need to know where to start. The threads I searched assume too much prior knowledge. I simply want to restrict certain pages of my very simple, non-e-commerce site, to those people who have been provided a password. What tool(s) should I consider first? I am NOT html or Unix savvy. I made my site with FrontPage 2003. :eek:

TIA

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    cPanel makes this very easy. Find the link in your cpanel called Password Protect Directories.
    Read next page and go from there. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. saunacarrerra

saunacarrerra Registered

Infopro,

Thanks for replying. Yes, I had seen that, but it appears to protect a whole domain, while I want to protect only a group of pages. Also, I was hoping to have users enter their ID and password via one of my own pages, rather than via a pop-up dialog box which Password Protect Directories seems to do. I was hoping for a way for users to change their passwords,etc. I think to do what I want , I need to integrate a data base, about which I know nothing, so maybe the Password Protect Directories is the only way. In that case, how would I protect part of my web site but not the rests? Subdomain?

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    It can be set to protect directories. Any (or all) directory inside public_html. If you read the message there it tells you what to click to do what.

Please select the folder you wish to protect by clicking on its name.
    Open a folder by clicking on its icon.

5. saunacarrerra

saunacarrerra Registered

Yes, I saw that, but it won't let me get down deeper into my web site directory to pick out separate pages. No need to reply, let me play with it for a while.

Thanks

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You block directories/folders. Not single files. You can navigate as deep as you like by clicking the folders to get there. If you need to block a single file, place it in a directory and lock it down.

Good luck.