The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie SSL Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by punjabipredator, Jun 26, 2006.

1. punjabipredator

punjabipredator Well-Known Member

I have people that want to buy a dedicated IP address from me that need it because they use SSL and my question is do i have to buy the SSL or is there one already built in?

2. bhd

bhd Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can generate a SSL certificate in WHM but it will give warnings in browsers because it is not issued by a 'trusted source'. It will work just as well as a bought one though and is just as secure.

3. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You have to buy the SSL certificate from an external provider. You actually *can* use the one built into the cpanel WHM "Web SSL/TLS" menu ("Generate a SSL Certificate and Signing Request"), but it will cause your user web browsers to keep on asking you to verify the site the first time they go there in a session, which is really ugly.

When you're buying an SSL cert, you use the same "Generate" page in WHM to generate a "Certificate Signing Request" which you provide when you buy the certificate. The certificate authority (from whom you're buying the SSL cert) will then provide you with a downloadable certificate key which you put into the WHM screen "Install a SSL certificate".

A great place to get SSL certs is www.godaddy.com for 19.95us$ - they work as well as the $150 certificates and you can pretty much download them on the spot.

4. punjabipredator

punjabipredator Well-Known Member

Hello

Thank You So Much