The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie to exim - couple of ?'s

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Networkologist, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Networkologist

Networkologist Well-Known Member

These questions are a prelude to my anticipation of questions from my clients, as well as some of my own.

Why is it necessary to use "Outlook (Express) AutoConfig"? I can't seem to get OutLook to work without using AutoConfig; is there way to do this without using autoconfig?

From what I've read on this Forum, we're really not using sendmail, any script looking for sendmail will really be using exim. Y/N?

Arrgghh. Just got a call from a client.

I'll be back...

2. Juanra

Juanra Well-Known Member

It's not necessary. In fact the "Outlook (Express) AutoConfig" button can be disabled from WHM (I have it disabled in my theme). Just make sure that, when configuring your accounts in Outlook, the user name includes the domain name (except for the main account).

Y

#2 Juanra, Mar 10, 2003
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2003
  3. Networkologist

OIC

someone@somedomain.com instead of someone and thatdid the trick! (Should be documented)

Problem is, now I need to make screen shots because I specialize in e-mail challenged clients :D

I guess my last question about exim is, what makes it special? I realize sendmail has the recent vulnerablity, etc., but is exim somehow better in a way I can explain to my client (and me)?

4. kcdworks

kcdworks Well-Known Member

It is documented ... look at the email creation screen ... it says very clearly that they have to use either user@domain.com or user+domain.com :)

5. Networkologist

That's in bluelagoon. I'll double check the default, but it ain't clear to us country folk :)

6. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If your clients are e-mail challenged (as most are), then what does it matter to them what software is being used? :)

I've had this several times. They read things, don't know what the hell they are talking about but ask questions about it anyway. They are simply looking for reassurance.

Give them the "each mail package has its own features, but they are all basically the same". They are updated frequently, ensuring safety and security. The reason the SendMail exploit was newsworthy was because too many servers were still running older versions, which you do not. :)

Let's face it. You can tell them anything, and they'll be happy. Keep it simple, and don't lie. :)